Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking for video card update recommendation

• Please log in to reply

just confused

just confused

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am using a 5-year-old Dell Dimension Desk Top 8300 series w/2.6GHz Pentium 4 - 120GB Hard Drive
WinXP SP3 OS - and an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 video card and 19" monitor. I would like to change to
a flat-panel monitor with better resolution (clearer images, easier to read). At the time I purchased the
computer, I was told that if I ever wanted to update to a flat-panel monitor I would have to change the
video card as well. Could someone make a recommendation of a video card/monitor combination
which would be compatible with my system and suitable for use mostly for reading articles, blogs,
some video viewing, not much gaming going on.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You do not need to replace the graphics card. Just buy a new monitor. It'll be fine.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks, Neil, that'll save some bucks. Wonder why the Dell rep who sold me the computer said my card wouldn't
support a flat-panel?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The rep was probably thinking about any commission due his way, since a lot of sales people get paid either regularly with top-up commission or full commission - no sale, no pay. Probably changed now though with minimum wages and everything.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
He possibly suggested that you replace the video card because the card that youre running might not support the resolutions of the monitor.
-P.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, P-Zero!

Now that makes sense. Is there a way to determine the maximum resolution supported by my card?

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Max Resolution 2048 x 1536 . got that from newegg. might not be able to play many games at ur new monitors max resolutions.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks! :)