Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 1058 can't turn windows auto update on

• Please log in to reply

traindriver

traindriver

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I can't seem to turn on windows auto update on.
The pc keeps telling me ERROR 1058 the service could not be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabling devices.
I tried everything microsoft said to do to no avail.
please help :)

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello traindriver

I'm NOT a GTG Staff member here , HOWEVER...i may be able to assist you in your issue/problem arising

Please download dial-a-fix.exe from this location: http://wiki.lunarsof...wiki/Dial-a-fix

Unzip it to a location you are familular with and run dial-a-fix.exe. Please Check "Fix Windows Updates". Other boxes will also be checked. Do not be alarmed this is normal. Now Click "Go". This should fix your windows updates problem.

Best of luck with the issue

Regards

Anthony

Edited by Anthony19, 25 October 2008 - 02:08 AM.

traindriver

traindriver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Anthony
Sorry mate but I downloaded dialafix and it still hasn't fixed the problem.

Any other suggestions

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello traindriver

ok , so the fixing of windows updates using dial-a-fix was not successful... thats no problem ( Dont panic lol )

We are now going to try to manually Re-Install the Automatic Update Client

Note: You will need your Windows xp installation disk to carry out this task !!!

Once you have verified that you have the disk at hand...

You can do this by: ( as follows )

1. Go to the Windows Command prompt (CMD.EXE) you can open the prompt from ( See below lines
Start > Run > Type: " cmd.exe "( Without the quotation ( " ) marks ) hit Enter( On the keyboard... )
2. From the CMD.EXE(Command prompt). run the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf
( You can highlight from left clicking on mouse and hovering over Highlighting the above line and then right clicking and selecting " Copy " from the menu then once in the Command prompt window, press and hold down the Ctrl + v ( on the keyboard ) that should bring that line up... then just hit enter on the keyboard...

Running this command will prompt you for the XP installation CD. Use Browse button and navigate to C:\Winnt\Servicepackfiles\I386 where you will see wuapi.dll and other files that are related to Automatic Update Client can be found. After you running this command, you MUST restart your computer...
( IF you cannot locate C:\Winnt TRY to locate C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, then Continue on.. )

Best of luck and i hope it all works out fine and this can resolve the issue :)

Anthony

Editation reason: added more information for you...

Edited by Anthony19, 27 October 2008 - 02:39 AM.