Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unremovable 404-error redirection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hello fellow geek and geekettes.

If you recognize this page and you got rid of it, skip this intro and go straight to the star (*).
http://i26.tinypic.com/2dt8v0o.jpg

My computer has been infected by malware which redirects 404-page errors to a different site.
That site is made by funfunsearch.com and is hijacking any browser I use that displays a 404-page error.
Even if I just make my own .htm containing a thousand words and then "404", it will redirect me to that page.

As a result, not only 404-page errors are redirecting me, but any website that has "404" anywhere on the htm (even inside colorcoding tags it will redirect me)
This is getting highly annoying because I can't play any browser game that has 404 in colortags or image names or text.

If anybody has any information about this hijack, I would appreciate it.
My prnt screen button is damaged, but I found another example, which is exactly the same as the page I get at this computer.

This is what I already tried: (so don't give me these programs if you really have read this post)
-AVG 7.5
-SUPERAntispywaretool
-Hijackthis (latest from trend micro)
-Norton (the whole serie of *** of them)
-Trend Micro's whole arsenal of programs
-Hitman Pro 2 (don't tell me it's spyware or I'll kick you in the face)
-System restore (WinXP Standard program)
-Smitfraud
-Ccleaner
-Regseeker
-Spybot-SD
-HiJackFree
-Threatfire
-SpyEraser
-SuperAntiSpyware (is a different one than SUPERAntispywaretool)
-Malwhere

Friends of me even gave me programs that they paid for and they still didn't do what we paid for!
-Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
-SUPERAntispywaretool

I am not a noob at removing malware, I have years of experience and am up-to-date with the newest types of attacking.
The current programs, I think, just aren't working anymore for these new attacks.
I'm also not a noob at preventing infections, so don't go tell me that I need to remove limewire (cuz I don't have it at all).

If somebody would have experience with deleting this crapware, your help is most welcome.
As you can see, I tried an enormous amount of programs and I am dead sure that there is no way to remove it, unless to re-install the OS.
I still hope for a solution other than reinstalling, because my mobo's IDE sockets are broken, so I can't add a cd/dvd-drive. (and mounting an XP installationdisk won't work in DOS, right :))

with geeky greets
-I/O-Error

***EDIT***
I already followed the steps that are in: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html
The only help I could possible get is from somebody who KNOWS THIS PROBLEM PERSONALLY AND ALREADY GOT RID OF IT.
No, I'm not sorry for using caps, it's a dead-serious sentence that NEEDS to be in capslock, or nobody ever understands it.

Edited by IO-error, 25 October 2008 - 06:12 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

IO-error

IO-error

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So your telling me that following that topic will solve 70% of all my problems?
Dude, don't lie to people, it makes you look very bad!

And of course, following those steps, it did NOT solve my problems.
I already told you that hijackthis didn't help me, so why the [bleep] are you telling me to do it again.

Please, if anybody has more help, check if I already did that.

***EDIT***
To Rorschach112: Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your help, but you gave me help that I couldn't use.

Edited by IO-error, 25 October 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Follow the steps in the link I posted if you want your problem fixed

There is no need to be rude about it. Closing this one so you can post in the proper forum for your problem, which is the malware removal forum.