Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stock fan power hookups

• Please log in to reply

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i just put together a new machine with a silverstone KL02B tower, which i love.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811163094
the stock rear 120mm fan appears to have two power cables.
the first is a 3pin, which doesnt seem to work when i connect it to the motherboard at the CHA_FAN or PWR_FAN, which i tested both and they both work.
the second is the common 4 prong power connector, male and female ends.

whats the purpose of having the 3 pin?
just to give users flexibility?
and does mine just not work?

i would just rather use the 3 pin to power it from the motherboard instead of having a power supply cable run all the way down to it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all boards have enough three pin connectors to run fans, its perfectly possible on budget boards to only have one CPU fan connector and nothing else, hence why a lot of fans have the 4 pin molex connectors as well to cater. Which you use doesn't matter as long as the fan goes round. Fans cost next to nothing to replace and a lot of separately available ones are probably quieter than the ones that come with cases anyway.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
my motherboard has 2 fan connections available, CHA_FAN and PWR_FAN.
the tower's front stock fan is is plugged into CHA_FAN (it works when its plugged into PWR_FAN also).
but the stock rear fan (with 3pin and 4 pin molex), doesnt work when i have the 3 pin connector,
however it does work with the 4 pin molex, why?

lastly, assuming i leave it hooked up with the 4 pin molex, can i physically cut off the 3 pin connector?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Probably wired up wrong for whatever reason. Long as its going round when its plugged in in some form it shouldn't really matter.
As to cutting it off - I'd tape it up and leave it alone, not like you're going to take the side off every five minutes and look at it.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
actually i want to remove any unneeded wires.
i have a nice fat window, so i want it to look good.