Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacement video card

• Please log in to reply

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Dell M1710 Laptop that has a video problem. The computer can only be started in safe mode. When trying to boot normally, it keeps recycling, and never finishes loading. I tried updating the video card drivers, same result. I finally disable the video card, and then the computer loads and works fine, except for playing DVDs, which won't play. If I re-enable the card, it will then work for a short period of time before shutting down. The computer worked fine for over a year. I also opened the case and tried reseating the video card. Still no luck!
Is there a possible cheaper replacement card I can use? The replacment for the NVIDIA Ge force Go 7950 GTX is in the $600.00 range.

Specs:
Dell M1710
Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1
T2400 CPU 1.83 gig
4.0 gig Ram
32 bit os

Thanks for your help!

Ralphbob5

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptops are not upgradable and as a general rule are not user-serviceable. Therefore if you have a hardware issue on a laptop that comes down to a component problem such as the video card or the motherboard, the laptop is generally beyond economic repair.

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I have a Dell M1710 Laptop that has a video problem. The computer can only be started in safe mode. When trying to boot normally, it keeps recycling, and never finishes loading. I tried updating the video card drivers, same result. I finally disable the video card, and then the computer loads and works fine, except for playing DVDs, which won't play. If I re-enable the card, it will then work for a short period of time before shutting down. The computer worked fine for over a year. I also opened the case and tried reseating the video card. Still no luck!
Is there a possible cheaper replacement card I can use? The replacment for the NVIDIA Ge force Go 7950 GTX is in the $600.00 range.

Specs:
Dell M1710
Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1
T2400 CPU 1.83 gig
4.0 gig Ram
32 bit os

Thanks for your help!

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does this mean I can only replace with the same card?

Thanks for your help.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually means you can't replace it with anything as its unique to the machine. Far cheaper to replace the entire laptop with new statutory warranty.

Ralphbob5

Ralphbob5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the advice!