MY PROBLEM:- On its own accord my PC suddenly shut down and restarted. My Norton360 icon in the taskbar had been replaced by a Windows antispyware warning (X). I did a manual restart and the dreaded bluescreen with the message below appeared:-
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps :
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.
Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
*** STOP : 0X0000007E (0XC0000006, 0X806B2101, 0XF78B86E4, 0XF78B83E0) ***
This message now appears everytime I start my computer. I can use safe mode. What I've done so far:-
1) I've also been able to run a DELL DIAGNOSTICS EXPRESS TEST – where I get the message; ERROR CODE 0F00:133D Msg: IDE device failed: Incompatible CD for testing.
2) All my diagnostic light are working - 4 solid green. My power button light is solid green too.
3) Reinstalled my old ATI card - but didn't make any difference. Removed all my ATI software - but didn't make any difference.
4) Run IDE DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS from the boot device menu. The results were:-
Primary SATA Drive 0: No device
Secondary SATA Drive 0: No device
Primary IDE Drive 0: WDC800BB-75FRA0 - PASS!
Drive 1: WDC800BB-75FRA0 - PASS!
5) I downloaded Diag504cCD.iso from the WD drive manufacture site. Burnt it onto a CD and loaded the CD into the affected PC, set my boot order in my BIOS to boot the CD-ROM first. But nothing happened, it didn't boot from my CD and I thus couldn't run the diagnostics test.
6) I've run chkdsk /r and got the following :- C:\WINDOWS\System32\chkdsk.exe. The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
I clicked Y and did a restart, but nothing happened!!
7) In My Computer, I've right clicked on the C drive, then in Properties error checked the drive and got the following :- Checking Disk Local Disk (C:) Windows was unable to complete the disk check.
I got the same message when I tried my unused Local Disk (D:) too.
My problems did seem to start, I think, a week or so after I upgraded my graphics card. Any help with what has gone wrong and what I need to do (replace?), most welcome. Mark.