Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about phones & wireless routers

• Please log in to reply

filly77

filly77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a question. I spoke with a man at best buy yesterday about cordless phones, then his co-worker came over. They were basically telling each other the other was wrong.

one said I need a 6.0 cordless if I have a wireless computer router, said the 5.8GHz will cause interference & poor range due to the fact that most routers are also 5.8GHz.

The other guy I spoke to said I need 5.8GHz, as the 6.0 phone will cause interference w/ my modem as most modems he said are 6.0, leading to dropped calls & poor range.

Then I heard I either need DECT or VOIP.

I dont know what to believe lol

my wireless router is your basic 40 dollar walmart, netgear. The cable phone/internet modem is an RCA (supplied to me via comcast)

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
All the phones in my home are of the DECT cordless type and they work fine alongside my wireless router (in fact, one of the phones is right next to the router all the time -- no problems).

Edited by phillip22, 28 October 2008 - 08:34 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...there is some truth to the interference issue with cordless phones and wireless routers...however pretty much ALL routers and MOST phones have the ability for you to change the channel that they talk on....yes they're all on the same spectrum of radio frequencies but they're not all on the same channel...IF you have a conflict you just change the channel on one or the other and the problem is gone....it's the same as an FM radio....if you're getting interference between two stations...you just move the dial

also of note....it's my understanding that router and phone manufacturers are starting to agree with each other and are shipping their products on different default channels within the spectrum