Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HP Laptop BSOD Beep.sys Windows won't load

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, I was trying to install a new printer on my HP Notebook. It was almost done with installation then the computer froze, I rebooted it and upon reboot I got a BSOD :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Beep.sys

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X00000050 (0X81000078,0X00000000,0XB39B32FF,0X00000000)

*** Beep.sys - Address B39B32FF base at B39B2000, DateStamp 48d397f5

I tried rebooting in Safe mode to no avail...can't reboot to anything. I searched around on the internet for solutions, and someone suggested the recovery console, so I copied it to a CD and tried to boot from it, and when I did this I got an error that said "Hard Drive not found".

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can give me.

Thank you in advance,
PS:I cannot find my Window XP CD.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried doing the F8 key and choosing the "Last Known Good Configuration"? From what you have said i think you have, but i must ask beforehand.

More Than likely you will need to do a repair install with a XP CD. If you cannot find yours , borrow one from anyone you can find.

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

You might want to read this.

The Printer drivers seem to be the problem as they are probably a corrupt installation. I don't know if you want to try this but i have put if up if needed.

Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

Computer stops responding with a black screen when you start Windows XP

Again, if "last known good config" is not available then the best method to fix this is a repair install.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just to let you or anyone else know, I found a insert that came with my laptop...it says you can do a system recovery by hitting F11 when your computer restarts. And it works :) (My laptop is a HP/Compaq Presario)

Thanks for all your help!
Hopefully this will fix it...