Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Slowdown - Overheating Problems

• Please log in to reply

Ziggy61

Ziggy61

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop, which has been working great for the past 6 years, had <1 GB free on a 20 GB hard drive. To free space I removed several programs including Norton SystemWorks. I also added a USB Linksys Wireless device and driver to connect my recently subscribed DSL connection. It was around this time that I noticed that after about 15 minutes of running the two fans at the rear of the laptop would come on and never shut off. Also, the computer would start to slow down to the point of making any browsing impossible. Other programs work better, but also slow to some degree.

I purchased “The Ultimate Troubleshooter” to see what I could find. Besides some minor program issues and suggestions, which when corrected did nothing for the slow down issue, I did notice the “Load Unload Cycle Count” was not “OK”. My understanding is that this is a hard drive problem and should not cause an overheating processor-like symptom. I also took the keyboard off to see if the inside of the computer was dirty, but everything was clean (I monthly use canned air to clean the grill). I did notice that, when taking the heat plate off from the processor, there was no adhesive. This did not seem to be a problem for six years, so I doubt this is the cause of the slow down (I did make sure no oils from my hands touched the processor or plate).

The processor does slow down, so it should be able to cool. The Pentium III does not appear to have a heat sensor, so I don’t know the temperatures involved. It does not appear to be enough to shut down the computer.

Looking in past forum articles, I have tried:

Right clicking on the Desktop and choosing "Properties"...clicking on the "Settings" tab and then on the "Advanced" button. Clicking the "Troubleshoot" tab and moveing the "Hardware Acceleration" slider one mark lower (to the left). Clicking "Apply" then "Ok" twice to exit Display Properties. Rebooting my machine to see if it is less balky. – No effect

Clicking Start then Run...typing sfc /scannow, and pressing "Enter". Adding my installation cd when asked. Result: it would not run the scan because the dll’s were different. I suspect upgrading to Windows XP-3 changed things from my Windows XP-2 installation disk.

That leaves me with the following questions:

Is the processor going bad? Does the plate and processor need thermo adhesive? Could the Load Unload Cycle Count be the cause of the slow down? Did I remove something critical when I uninstalled the programs? Do I have a bad driver (all appear to be up to date)? The slow down still occurs when I remove the a USB Linksys Wireless device and driver, but could this still be the cause (I do sometimes have problems connecting; selecting network - repair causes a quick blue screen stating something – too fast - and then shuts down)? Could the “video card/on-board video?” be going bad? Before the removal of programs – when things worked – I would get occasional intermittent freezes in heavy game play

I would appreciate any help or advise you can provide. I do have an Excel document of the TUT system report if needed.

Thank you!

Francis :)

CPU: Intel Pentium III processor 848 MHz
CPU average: ~ 15% to 40% Utilization
Starting up programs: CPU peaks to 100% Utilization, but drops to average after ~20 secs.

Memory: 33% free (167 MB) of 512 MB RAM

Laptop: Dell Latitude C800

BIOS: A21

Operating System: Windows XP Professional 3.0

One problem recognized:
(from “The Ultimate Troubleshooter” v4.80 DB Version)

IDE 0 S.M.A.R.T.
Load Unload Cycle Count: 50 Threshold; 39 Value; 39 and decrease Worst; Status: Not OK

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well since you mentioned it being worse browsing I'd go to the malware forum and see if maybe you have some infection going on.... Next I would find out the brand of your hard drive and then go to there website and download their hard drive utility and see what it says.... You could also try downloading memtest86 and run a memory test....

Ziggy61

Ziggy61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You could also try downloading memtest86 and run a memory test....

Sorry, I have been away -

I downloaded memtest86, but I am embarresed to say I cannot get it to work. I unzipped it, copied it to cd, set the BIOS to boot from the cd drive, and the computer just restarts with the cd in the bay. I have tried it several times with it copied to cd zipped, unzipped, and restarting with the cd in the bay several times. Even tried several different disks. All my other cds work. What am I doing wrong?

Ziggy61

Ziggy61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have also scanned for spyware/malware using SUPERAntiSpyware free edition (suppose to remove Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, etc.) Found a number of cookies, but nothing else. Also scanned for virus problems using ESET NOD32 Antivirus. Again nothing.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
the memtest86 must be the one for cd then you must burn as an image not as data... Don't know if you downloaded an iso file or zip... if zip you first must unzip and then use an image burning program to burn to cd ( both nero and Easy media creator should be able to do this. )