Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Save page as...

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I was transferring my web pages from the hosting site using IE's "Save as..." feature and I noticed in the
Save WEB page window under encoding it is set at "Western European (windows)" and all the choices from the drop down are everything but United States. What can I do to change this? Why is it as it is, Western European I mean.
This scares me :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See if you have more options from the View menu under Encoding. Mine is set to Western European (ISO) by default. In the Save as for a web page, I had a long listing from Arabic to Vietnamese with the default encoding already selected.

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The default for IE7 is "Unicode UTF-8" also known as "Universal Alphabet". You won't find "United States" as an option because we are referring here to an alphabet not a language, and the US uses the same alphabet as Western Europe. Having "United States" or "North America" as a choice would simply be duplicating what is already available under Unicode.

Edited by phillip22, 28 October 2008 - 07:49 AM.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Good answer Phillip22. Sounds good to me. Funny I never noticed that before. Thanks again.