Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu heatsinks & fans

• Please log in to reply

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
so i'm looking to purchase a performace heatsink & fan to replace my stock core 2 duo heatsink & fan.
i have noticed that some performance solutions only come with heatsinks, and some come with a heatsink & fan.
are the ones that just come with a heatsink and no fan sufficient without the fan?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any cooling solution for any processor hat doesn't involve a fan in some way is probably not worth having since we went past passive processor cooling about ten years ago, without active air movement your processor will cook itself to death in under ten seconds flat.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i'm guessing you can buy this heatsink and add a fan to it?
but where?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835220004

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's a really weird design. It looks like you're supposed to angle it toward the back so the case fans will exhaust air from it.

It doesn't really look that great to me, I'd get one with a fan on it. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is cheap, simple to install, and effective. Checkout my pics when I did this on my own computer not long ago. Slideshow.

Cheers

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you're willing to perform a more complicated install, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a much better performer (and you say you are looking for a performance heatsink/fan). However, it is extremely difficult to install with the motherboard in the case, so you will probably have to take your motherboard out of your case to install it. Also, you may want to get the retention bracket for it, which secures the heatsink much better than the standard push-pin design.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
yea i seen that one b4.
and i was under the impression that i'd have to take the mobo out to install a good heatsink/fan.
no big deal.
im readin the reviews for ^^.