Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plz help!

• Please log in to reply

Brittanee

Brittanee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I'm in desperate need of help..

Recently I decided to move my computer from one place to another and since I have moved it I can't seem to get internet. My router says I have internet and my computer says I'm connected, but I can't seem to access the internet or anything requiring the internet. (Aim, MSN, etc.)

I have tried resetting the router, backing my computer up, unplugging everything, disabling my firewall and anti-virus, I have also called my cable company and had them reset it. I even thought it might be my on board ethernet connecter, so I tried doing a ethernet card, no luck. Just about anything I can think of. I tried hooking a different computer up to the router thinking maybe it's something to do with my computer. The other computer couldn't access the internet either. There's one other computer connected to the router, it's the main one, and it works fine.

I'm not sure what it could be because all I did was unplug it and move it to another room. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If any information is needed, ask and I'll see what I can do.

Brittanee

Advertisements

Brittanee

Brittanee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
One thing I forgot.

I try connecting mine directly to the modem and it says limited to no connectivity. Then I manually enter the numbers from ipconfig /all and it says I'm connected, but no access to the internet or anything requiring access to internet.

I'm guessing it's some sort of setting on my computer that got changed?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Brittanee and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

My name is Olrik and I will try and help you with your networking issue.

I'm not sure what it could be because all I did was unplug it and move it to another room. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If any information is needed, ask and I'll see what I can do.

Are you using the same cable from the previous room?

I tried hooking a different computer up to the router thinking maybe it's something to do with my computer.

Good thinking, one step between there would be checking the cable too :)
Have you tried different cables?

There's one other computer connected to the router, it's the main one, and it works fine.

Try putting the computer that couldn't get onto the internet on the spot of the main one and use the cable that was used by the main one, Does the PC get internet now?

The above information would give me a good idea of what is going on :)

Regards,
Olrik