Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu usage! I NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

~Matt~

~Matt~

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay,I reformated my laptop and when i was playing a game( Warcraft-The Frozen Throne),It started to lag alot...
I went to alt+tab and ctrl+alt+del to the task manager and i was shocked when i found out that my cpu usage was at 100%!!! The game i was playing had a size of 200,000++ K at the mem usage!!!

I never had this problem before while playing this game and i was quite irritated...So i reformated my laptop 4 times which all failed to succeed in my quest of playing my game without lag...The funny thing is...If i leave my laptop with the game(Lagging),A few minutes later it will go back to normal and work normally without the lag...But afew minutes later again...The lag starts...

Its like a never ending proccess...Oh...and my other programmes are doing just fine...Only my game Shoots up the highest.....

I had SP2 installed in this laptop before and it had the same problem,And when i reformated it to a SP1,The problem was gone...But im now having this problems while in SP1....What can i do to reduce the cpu usage,mem usage,and obviously the lag...

Who doesnt want to play in peace!?

Here are my laptop's spec
Dell inspiron 600m
XP Profesional version 2002 SP1
Intel®Pentium®
Processor 1400MHZ
1.40GHZ
1.00GB ram

-----When i start My game it will take 50,000++ K under mem usage...But it will soon shoot up to 200,000++ K-----

Edited by ~Matt~, 27 October 2008 - 05:41 AM.

Advertisements

~Matt~

~Matt~

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh...and my pf usage goes up to 300++ MB when i lagg...Physical memory(K)Total 1047784,Available 650000++,system cache 446000++

Commit charge(K)
Total -385460++
Limit -2521108
Peak -651580

Kernel memory(K)
Total -42340++
Paged -30630++
Nonpaged -11700

My laptop hard disk space -40 gb
Available -23.5 gb

Edited by ~Matt~, 27 October 2008 - 06:42 AM.

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
You can try disk cleanup and disk defragmenter.

Both can help to speed up your computer.

Edited by Ltangelic, 27 October 2008 - 11:39 PM.

~Matt~

~Matt~

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
still doesnt help...only the game lagged alot...but i believe the problem doesnt lie with the game....

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Perhaps you can take a look at what are all the processes that are taking up a lot of CPU when you are running the game. Please post back with the details.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I've found that the disk cleanup wizard isn't as effective as CCleaner. I would try downloading that and running the temp files cleanup

Hmmm...I just checked the specs on the game (here)...your comp seems to be well above the limits...However, I would check how much video RAM you have.

System Requirements

The minimum specifications for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP are as follows:

* 400 MHz Pentium or better
* 128 MB RAM
* 8 MB 3D video card with DirectX 8.1 support
* 550 MB hard drive space (+ Reign of Chaos install)
* 4X CD-ROM drive

The minimum specifications for Macintosh OS 9.0+/OS X v10.1.3+ are as follows:

* 400 MHz G3 or better
* 128 MB RAM
* 16 MB ATI or nVidia chipset 3D video card
* 550 MB HDD space (+ Reign of Chaos install)
* 4X CD-ROM drive

The recommended specifications are as follows:

* 600 MHz
* 256 MB RAM
* 32 MB 3D video card

The requirements for multiplayer are:

* TCP/IP connection
* 28.8 kbit/s or faster

I know that some of the older Dells (when XP first came out and shortly there after) only have 4MB video RAM.

To check your video memory, right click on the desktop, and go to Properties. (If you've ever changed your desktop image, you've done this part.) Then click on the Settings tab, and the Advanced button. Then click on the Adapter tab and let us know what it says.

~Matt~

~Matt~

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay...

Chip type: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP(0X4c66)
DAC type:Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory size: 32MB
Adapter String: MOBILITY RADEON 9000
Bios information: BK8.0.0VR008.019.008.002.007.001.001.001 F