Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Problem

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have two partitions on my hard drive. I wanted to combine them to increase my usable space, but I ran into a problem. PartitionMagic says the hard disk is bad. Windows disk manager finds no problems, and I have run Chkdsk several times. Acrons Disk Director shows the partitions as good, but fails when it tries to combine or resize the partitions. Gparted shows the disk as unformatted.

Is there any way to find out what is wrong with my hard disk and fix it without a format?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Download the latest diagnostic software and utilities from the manufacturer of your hard drive

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

a list of most manufacturer's

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I ran the tools from Samsung, my HD's manufacturer. As I suspected, there is nothing wrong physically, just something with the partitions or the file system.