Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

ADSL - modem keeps loosing ip-configuration

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure what is wrong here. I have a telewell EA400 - which seems to be working fine. I'm able to connect my two computers in network. The problem is my internet connection works about ½ the time, and when it does it only works on one computer.

when i run ipconfig in cmd I can tell if it will work or not. If it finds the DNS-suffix it will work...

I get it working sometimes by releasing the DNS and then renewing the ip-configuration (ipconfig /release -> ipconfig /renew). Although when I release the DNS i have to program the modem again - readjusting the VCI setting.

If to any help my internet provider has the following requirements:

ISP Name: multi.fi ADSL (I can't type this in anywhere can I?)
Protocol: 1483 Bridge
Framing LLC/SNAP

It is an 8Mb line

Dunno if it's hardware problem, software problem, or ISP problem. Anyone know?

I run XP Professional on one computer (P3 866Mhz)and XP home on the other one (AMD Athlon64 3200).

Thanks for the help!

Edited by dankken, 03 May 2005 - 10:23 AM.

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
did you try leaving the default gateway to obtain ip and dns's auto. See if you have a small network network running and it runs off its own ip class and the ip class clashes with the ip adress on the router that is why it is pushing out two ip adresses at the same time. check that. give me a hola ;) :tazz:

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, it doesn't seem like that's the problem. It's on auto, but I just don't understand why this happens to be. There might be something in what you say, even though it isn't... ;)

Ok, I have my IP on auto, and the modem is programmed to give an ip address between two specified values. Still, when it doesn't work - the IP is always the same (can't remember it now, and I don't want to restart my computer to find out the IP address that doesn't work).

Although, it doesn't matter if I have the two computers connected or not. Either way then internet connection works on either one or no computers.

I have noticed though - when the laptop (running XP home, athlon64 3200) is connected to another network outside of mine: If someone in the network starts downloading from a shared folder of mine, my internet connection goes down - and I have to restart the computer to get it working again (the newtwork still works fine - and this is outside of my home).

...I'm confusing myself now with all this writing....

Anyways, there might be something in what couriejegels says - since the malfunctioning IP address is always the same when the internet connection is down. Just don't know what.

If to any help, my Telewell (Finnish) uses DLink drivers.

...Now here's a nut for U guys to crack :tazz:

Edited by dankken, 03 May 2005 - 05:42 PM.