Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupt thumbnails causing problems

• Please log in to reply

smashguy37

smashguy37

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
This is extremely frustrating because I just replaced a dying main hard drive with a new one, fresh re-install of Windows, etc. and now I have yet another problem.

I have a large collection of digital camera JPEG's and they are split up into many folders (i.e. October 2008) and whenever I go into one, the thumbnails are half the size they normally are and the colour is all messed up -- it's kind of like a posterize filter from Photoshop. Explorer then runs really slow and I have to give it a few minutes before I can really scroll through the thumbnails and half the time I experience a crash or a Dr Watson Post Morterm Debugger.

I have tried a ton of solutions by Googling, such as deleting specific registry values, resetting folder options and all kinds of stuff, but nothing has solved the problem yet. I run a Geforce 9600 GT card and it has the latest drivers and am using XP SP2. I'm at a complete loss right now. Any ideas?

P.S. some of my icons display the icon that usually means Windows doesn't know what the file type is. It sometimes starts that way then finds the right icon, or just stays at the wrong one. I've tried rebuilding my icon cache too, but it doesn't work either. And for what it's worth, I'm using Style XP as well.

Edited by smashguy37, 27 October 2008 - 08:38 AM.

Advertisements

smashguy37

smashguy37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
This thread can be deleted, I finally figured it out. In case anyone else has this problem -- right click any JPEG you have and go to properties and select the Photoshop image tab and uncheck the box that says something to the effect of making Photoshop thumbnails (which is the cause of the problem).