Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Start-Up and Clock slow?

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello guys,

I need a little help that's driving me a bit crazy.

Firstly, my clock is 4min slow, no matter what i do, it will always go back to being 4min slow. It does not go any slower than 4min. Is it possible that this is due to the BIOS clock setting? I haven't checked that yet.

Then there is another thing, Windows XP seems to start up fine, there's just a small 'glitch' in the beginning when the blue progress bar is scrolling acress the screen, it sort of 'freezes' at first then seems to carry on doing it's thing. These are minor bugs but man are they annoying! I know what is on my start up list via msconfig etc, it's clean. Just the anti virus [Avast!], Nero, hmmm... My 3G Mobile Connect. That's about it besides the usual stuff.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
It sounds like your CMOS battery may be dying....But yes, definitely check the BIOS clock.

I would try downloading Ccleaner and let it clean out your temp files and registry and see what that does.

~Matt~

~Matt~

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes...It could be the BIOS setting...Another possible one which is quite unlikely is your System's battery...But since you say it does not go slower than 4 mins....You could check your BIOS settings...

No ideas on the second one O.o sorry...

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Thanks guys, got CCleaner, does wonders for the system. Everything is cleaned on a daily basis right after i log off the net. Hopefully someone has an idea about that second 'freezing' issue.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmmm..My brother used to have this problem on his computer...Then we replaced the mobo, CPU, Hdd and PSU. I don't think he's having the problem anymore, but I don't know if it was anyone of those things that fixed it (tho I doubt it was the PSU.)

If I had to wager a guess, I would say that it was probably the hard drive. I seem to remember running chkdsk /r on the old drive and it kept coming up with errors. But I couldn't swear to it :)