Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no operating system found

• Please log in to reply

crazyeagle

crazyeagle

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i got my old HD out of 1 of my comps i havent used in forever and went to put in in a comp i know works i disconnected the good HD and pluged in old 1 it beeped and gave me a " no operating system found " error

does that mean all info on that hd is gone

it had win 98 on it

can i retrive it with out a disk

should i just put a new OS on it

in advance i ty for any help
ty

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello crazyeagle

"no operating system found"
To fix this problem you will be able to get away with what is called a repair installation, (This is not a format) after which everything will be ok.

can i retrive it with out a disk

No, you cannot retrieve any system without a disk, you need a disk to perform any form of recovery, if you do not have any disk your best bet would be to do a new installation of an operating system.

If you have files on this hard disk that you need you can use a Linux live cd and then navigate to your installation and backup everything from there.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 27 October 2008 - 01:47 PM.

crazyeagle

crazyeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
If you have files on this hard disk that you need you can use a Linux live cd and then navigate to your installation and backup everything from there.

ok where/how do i do this .... have stuff on old HD would love to have again

crazyeagle

crazyeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i found a win 98 BOOT disk is that what i need ???

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
To rescue your files using a linux live cd you need to download the live cd and then burn this to disc. For this example I would like you to use suse linux as this is the only linux I have used to some extent. You can get open suse from the link below.

http://software.opensuse.org/

For the type of computer you need to select 32-bit, for the installation medium you need to select Live CD and for the download method select the Standard method and then select the Gnome download as this is the only one I have used and found KDE a little harder for my-self.

Once you have downloaded and burnt this cd you will need to insert this into your cd/dvd drive and then boot off it. If it does not auto boot you will need to set this up in the bios which can be activated by pressing either F2 or del upon bootup. (This does vary from pc to pc)

Once the live cd has loaded click computer at the bottom left hand side and click on places and you should see a place called File System, this is what we need. When you have clicked on this you will see your installation :) then you will be able to navigate round the installation and backup any files that you need. If you have a usb memory pen you may find it easier to use this for backing up.

i found a win 98 BOOT disk is that what i need ???

Yes, if you have the original Windows 98 boot disk this is what you need to perform the repair which can be done via command line.

Regards

crazyeagle

crazyeagle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
ok doing this now ty in advance and 4 all the help

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

ok doing this now ty in advance and 4 all the help

No problem, glad I could be of some assistance. Let us all know how it turns out.

Regards