Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with network sharing plz

• Please log in to reply

frazz911

frazz911

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:) ok, i have a laptop in my room which is wirelessly connected to my computers modem downstairs. i'm trying to connect to xbox live through my laptop's connection. i need to activate the network sharing setting but it doesn't work properly: i right-click the connection, click properties then go to the advanced tab, and click the box which says "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" but when i click OK it says:
"internet connection sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing"

It would be really good if some1 could help me :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to do ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) you have to have two methods of connectivity...1 to connect to the internet and one to connect to the device you want to share with....

i'm a little fuzzy on what exactly is going on...could you describe your connections a little better?

frazz911

frazz911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i have my xbox connected to my laptop using an ethernet cable and my laptop is wirelessly connected to a modem. i've watched vids on You-tube and i have to put my wireless connection on to 'shared'. it shows exactly what to do on this vid: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuroiTPLtx0
but.. well, i've described what happens when i try and put it on shared. any help would be much appreciated :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
here's what i think the problem is....in that video the laptop that he's connecting to is ACTUALLY connected to the internet directly through it's wireless connection...I.E. the guy's got a wireless router somewhere in his house and that laptop is connected to that wireless connection then the XBOX is connected via ethernet to the laptop...

what YOU'VE got (correct me if i'm wrong) is one computer somewhere near an internet connection (seemingly directly connected to a modem and using ICS)....then you've got a laptop that's wirelessly connected to that computer through an ad hoc network and an XBOX wired to the laptop...right?

i think you've got too many links in the chain....TECHNICALLY the laptop that's wirelessly connected to the machine connected to the modem doesn't have an internet connection that's shareable...it's only got a connection to a LAN (which gives the laptop internet access)..

if all of this is correct then the only sollution would be to get a wireless router hooked to the modem (assuming that this is a broadband modem that is capable of connecting to a router) then connect the computer near the modem to the router, then connect the laptop wirelessly to the router and THEN share the internet connection from the laptop

frazz911

frazz911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeh u got it. i have a spare wireless router tho so i'll try using that, but the computer modem is SKY and the router is SPEEDTOUCH, will it still work? i dont really know much about this sort of thing as you can probarbly tell but i'll give it a go. thanx.