Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disappearing Hard Drive Space! Help!

• Please log in to reply

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I have a little problem on my hands here... My HDD is in 2 partitions, one 10GB one just for the system, and the rest for data. On the system one i have only the OS and several small vital programs installed. When i tell it to show all files, including hidden files, and I mark everything in C and go on properties, it tells me it takes up 5.5 GB, but when I go and look on my computer and click on the drive, it tells me that only 1 GB of 10 is free! How is that possible? I have never installed anything there, and those 4 GB cant just disappear. I have deleted all temporary files, but that freed up just about 100 MB, and i still got 4 missing gigabytes. What takes up that space? The space on drive C is slowly getting smaller, and is gonna go to zero, and I have no idea what to do! Please help! Also, defragmenting did not do any difference..

I'm not sure if this belongs in here, so if it doesn't please move this thread to the proper place.. Thanks..

Regards,
Chekov.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
System Restore creates a folder in which your restore points are saved. The folder is called "System Volume Information" and it can occupy a large amount of disk space just for itself, depending on how much disk space has been allocated to it, how much data needs to be backed up for restoring, and how many separate restore points it holds at any given time.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
To change the System Restore settings, right click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties." This brings up the system properties window. Click on the tab that says "System Restore," and you can change the size there.

Chekov

Chekov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay.. I just turned off system restore, and it said it deleted all restore points... That freed up just about 300 MB.. Now i still got 3.7 GB missing... :)

Attached Thumbnails

• HDD1.JPG
  • HDD2.JPG

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Check out this topic and see if it helps any.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The difference is because system files are not exposed and are not counted when you mark the files on C and go to properties. If you want to count correctly open My Computer > tools > folder options > view. Uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and confirm. This will expose hidden system files. Mark the files on C and check now. The result should be closer to 10 MB.

In my computer, just to give you an idea, the exposed volume is about 10 GB when system files are hidden and about 17 GB when exposed.

Chekov

Chekov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

The difference is because system files are not exposed and are not counted when you mark the files on C and go to properties. If you want to count correctly open My Computer > tools > folder options > view. Uncheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" and confirm. This will expose hidden system files. Mark the files on C and check now. The result should be closer to 10 MB.

In my computer, just to give you an idea, the exposed volume is about 10 GB when system files are hidden and about 17 GB when exposed.

Well, that done it. Now all space on C is accounted for. Its just strange that it has been slowly disappearing over time, cos it was only 5GB taken when the install was fresh, and I didn't install any programs, and now it's 8,2 GB. Maybe its system restore, but I turned that off, so that can't be it anymore, or can it? Are all the restore points still saved somewhere? Or what else could have been taking up that space?

Thanks to everyone that has already replied!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Well, if you go a long time without cleaning the temp files (especially if you do a lot on the internet) that can take up a huge amount of space. Yesterday I ran CCleaner on a comp to clean out the temp files, and I cleaned out over 1GB of files. Even though you didn't install anything on this drive, the temp files still go there.