Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and Home Essentials 98

• Please log in to reply

chaokhao

chaokhao

• Pip
  • 6 posts
sometime ago I bought Home Essentials 98 and installed it on my old computer. I have now abandoned that computer and have a gifted Gateway running XP without a word processing program. Is it possible to install the Home Essentials 98 on the Gateway and run it? thanks

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
With the exception of device drivers, most software written for Windows 98 will happily run on Windows XP.
That was one of the essential criteria when Windows XP was first placed on the drawing board.
After all, who would want to upgrade to XP if it also meant having to replace everything in their software collection?

XP also has a little trick up it's sleeve for those Windows 95/98 applications which proved less co-operative.
It's called "Compatibility Mode", see this: http://www.microsoft.../appcompat.mspx

However, I doubt you'll need to involve yourself with that, but handy to know just in case.

Edited by phillip22, 28 October 2008 - 08:12 AM.

chaokhao

chaokhao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you for the simple and easy to understand reply....both are very necessary when it comes to my ability to understand these things. I will give it a try and will even read the url you noted. perhaps I can become more knowledgable.