Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Boot with Card Reader Hooked Up

• Please log in to reply

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I recently purchase a fairly generic card reader with the usual slots, SD/MMC, CF, Memory Stick, etc. When I first plugged it in, my computer detected it, and did the usual "Searching for Drivers" and "Drivers Installed. Your new hardware is ready to use" thing. I didn't use it for a few days, which included a few reboots for various reasons. Then, when I inserted an SD card into the appropriate slot (actually a Micro SD card in an adapter), I couldn't get into My Computer to access it. Every time I would open it, it would just freeze, and I would have to use Task Manger to end the process. I thought that rebooting might help, but then it wouldn't even get to the screen with the little load bar, and it would just stop on a blank screen. I then powered it off, and the next time I started it, it gave me the Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration options, but neither worked. I powered it off, and unplugged the card reader, and then Windows finally booted up, but now it won't even detect the card reader ,let alone make itself useful. What am I doing wrong, and what do I do to fix it?
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

~Matt~

~Matt~

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
You should not leave any disc,Card readers,Thumb drives and floppy discs in your system when you are going to shut it down...Leave your system specs here and i will try to find it out...

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I realize that I'm not supposed to leave removable storage things like that plugged in, but they weren't working before, so I figured it might be something to try.
My specs: Windows XP SP 3
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1.0 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6600