Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maybe a hard disk problem? How to back up?

• Please log in to reply

Van4ulita

Van4ulita

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Last few days I have a strange problem. My computer does not let me open any file or folder. Every time I try it blocks, does not let me click on anything, I checked the Task Manager at that time - CPU usage 0%, even the clock stops. Only way to fix this is manual restart cause even the start menu is off. The strange thing is that if I just want to browse the web it's no problem, as long as I don't try to open some file or folder. The other strange is that hapens two days in a row (hopefully today will do too because I have work to do and I need my files) after restart or turning on the PC, if I use it just for Internet or just leave it for a couple of hours the problem disappears and everything is working normal.
I don't know if the place of this topic is here, but I asked some people and read some things. Some of the opinions were that the hard drive may get out of order and I need to make a back up immediately.
I wanted to know what do you think and help me with the back up because I don't know how to do it. I have an external usb hard big enough that I could use.
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There's nothing in what you've said to make me think your hard drive is about to fail. That said however, if you are able to backup your documents etc, then it would be advisable to do so just in case, seeing as we don't yet know what the problem is!

When you get this problem, are you able to open other applications such as Office programs etc as well as the internet?

Have you tried running an anti-virus scan and an anti-malware scan? If not, can you do so please?

Re. backing up:
This depends on what you want to backup of course, but if it's just the contents of My Documents then just copy and paste them over to the flash stick (assuming it lets you of course). Try opening 'My Documents', then hold down the CTRL key & press 'A'. This will select everything in My Documents. Next click on 'Edit', then 'Copy'. Next open the USB hard drive & click 'Edit', then 'Paste'.

If you are unable to do this, then boot in Safe Mode instead & try it again. To boot into safe mode, go to the Start menu, then click 'Run'. In the run box. type msconfig and click OK. Once msconfig opens, select the 'BOOT.INI' tab, then tick the '/SAFEBOOT' checkbox. Click Apply & OK, then reboot.

The system will now boot into safe mode. See if you can copy your stuff across to the USB hard drive now.

When you are finished, repeat the instructions to open MSCONFIG and clear the '/SAFEBOOT' checkbox. Click apply & OK then reboot to boot up normally.

Edited by Samm, 28 October 2008 - 08:06 PM.

Van4ulita

Van4ulita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hey there,
I checked for viruses, malware, spyware and everything - nothing. A month ago I had problem with that and I solve it thanks to the help of you people in this forum, and I followed the safety advices and have no problems since then, except that.
Yes, I can open browsers and use Internet, I also found out I can open files and folders and programs, but using TaskManager.
I did some things yesterday and for now it seems they helped (hopefully permanently). I run all volumes (C:/, D:/) Error checking and fix and after that I scanned for registry problems - it found many errors, so I made Registry Fix and Clean. Now everything seems to be ok, I can open whatever I want :) . So I guess I'll be able to copy all the files.
I tried to make a back up of everything yesterday using the Windows XP Backup but it didn't let me - some files were missing :) and the same happened when I run Acronis True Image Home. The problem is I can't repair Windows cause it updated itself to SP3 and the CD I have is SP2. Maybe after saving all the data on an external storage I'll just reinstall.
Thank you for everything. :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Let us know if you have any futher questions or problems :)