Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP cant locate external

• Please log in to reply

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi all,

I have had some issues with my computer, long story short i had to re-install windows XP.

Ok, the problem i have is that when i click on "Start" and "my computer", i have "c" for my HD but no external.

I have gone to "device manager" and the external is their. I have uninstalled and re-installed, but still no drive letter (it was g:) to double click on. Can anyone help as i have photos of my little girl on it.

Thanks heaps.

Peter.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
You may have to manually assign a drive letter to it for My Computer to show it as an available drive.
Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management.
Right-click the appropriate volume (it will probably be labelled "Unassigned") and select "Change drive letter and paths"
Obviously you must select a drive letter that is not already being used by any other drive on the system.

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Phillip22,

Thanks mate it did the trick However..........It asking me to format the external......... It wont let me in unless i format. Can i get my way araound to recover photos from my little girs??

Peter.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
If it wants you to format it, then there was a problem. You should try and recover the photos. I use "ZAR". It works quite well. There are many others out there also.
Generally, I would do a google search and run a couple programs to see which 1 recovers the most. I only use free ones.

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hello 123Runner,

Sorry about the long delay. My computer went from bad to worst, but seems ok at the moment.

I tried ZAR, after 20 odd hours of scanning it didnt find any files. I also took your advise and googled "data recovery". You are right, there are heaps out their.

After some research, i purchased a program called Power Data Recovery. Well worth the money, i retreived everything.

So, i thank you for your help.

Peter.

:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GetDataBack is another good recovery program. I've used it even on drives I've had to keep on ice to keep them spinning.

BTW.......the freezer trick with a bad drive really does work...... :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I tried the freezer on 2 drives with a 50% recovery. Worked on 1 but not the other. I will always try.