Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What on Earth Could it BE

• Please log in to reply

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
after having serious problems with my computer.. I took the harddrive out of my media center and formatted it and reinstalled windows on my machine... everything worked fine... but now its 50/50 every time I turn it off if its going to work... the windows screen loads up.. then theres a fast blue flash. and it says start in safe mode etc etc.. none of these options work... the only way to get it back on is installing windows and then using repair... the harddrive was brand new so I cant see it being that... is there any part of my machine that could cause these problem... I have tried the usual, Taking out the ram and trying my old ram.. but same problem... its getting a bit depressing having to repair each time just to boot up.... any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have just formatted the PC totally... And just after the format it has come up with this Error

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
the Image gdi32.dll is possibly Corrupt. The Header checksum does not match the computed checksum..

does this mean my harddrive is Dead ?? I am currently googling the problem too

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I would be more inclined to think it's your Windows CD. I would try reformatting again and see if it turns up the same thing. I've occasionally had the CD give errors one time around, and then work fine the second time.

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Google brings up windows hotfixes for this problem, but I cant get in to windows to put them to the test.. So I am currently Formatting again... but because its a 400 gig unpartioned drive it feels like its taking forever.. thanks for the advice though.. lets hope it is Windows....

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob. Let us know how it turns out :)

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well its just finished format and this time its actually on the installing windows screen.. so with a touch of luck it will work this time.... will update later when i Know either way for sure.. but so far so good :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Awesome!

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well im stumped now... finally installed windows... says its rebooting... it reboots black screen with the windows logo comes on for a second then it goes back to the start like I have hit reset or something... very strange

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Very strange indeed...I have had this problem before, and I've usually fixed it by running a repair install of Windows. Before you start saying "I just installed Windows..." I've had this problem on two brand new laptops. I have no idea what causes it, but I've found that repairing Windows usually fixes it.

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ive had such a similar problem, but with my part it was just a messed up HDD.. It was just a Hitachi Deskstar that died. But I had exactly the same problems.. I was using a LiveCD linux for quite a while till i got a new HD. I'd Try to get a bootable HD diagnostic software from your drive's manufacturer, burn it onto a CD, boot it up like a windows install, and run a full disk diagnostic, to check if its the HD's fault.

Advertisements

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Very strange indeed...I have had this problem before, and I've usually fixed it by running a repair install of Windows. Before you start saying "I just installed Windows..." I've had this problem on two brand new laptops. I have no idea what causes it, but I've found that repairing Windows usually fixes it.

I tried the Repair method twice and same thing, I formatted once more and again same problem.. I put in my old sata that was causing problems originally and it worked :S but still trying to fix the new drive before attempting any more formats

Ive had such a similar problem, but with my part it was just a messed up HDD.. It was just a Hitachi Deskstar that died. But I had exactly the same problems.. I was using a LiveCD linux for quite a while till i got a new HD. I'd Try to get a bootable HD diagnostic software from your drive's manufacturer, burn it onto a CD, boot it up like a windows install, and run a full disk diagnostic, to check if its the HD's fault.

thanks for the advice I googled H/D diagnostic tool for WDC and found everything I could posisbly need to test this drive.. I didnt know stuff like that was readily available for free.... currently running an extended scan on the drive so hopefully it can tell me what the problem is..

again thanks everyone that has contributed I wouldnt of known where to start otherwise...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prop...As I tell my customers...That's what I'm here for! :) Again, let us know how it turns out!

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

No prop...As I tell my customers...That's what I'm here for! :) Again, let us know how it turns out!

scan got to the last 11 seconds and then said cannot finish due to Too many bad sectors detected.... I am hoping the shop I brought it from will replace it as its no more than 6 weeks old... At least I know what was causing my problems now.....

Chekov

Chekov

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, there you have it.. If it can't even get to the end cos of too many bad sectors, your drive is seriously messed up. If the drive is only 6 weeks old, I'm sure you still have a warranty on it, so you can go to the shop and have it replaced.

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Shop tried to get me to send it back to manafacturer... but after I explained I knew my rights they gave me a RMA to send it back to them.... so with any luck I will have a proper working computer soon... then I can work on upgrading it slowly :)