Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What on Earth Could it BE

• Please log in to reply

Rich In South Florida

Rich In South Florida

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unless the Computer is new I would allways first test the hard drive then if it came back as being bad I would replace it. If it came back as good I would then try reinstalling windows Maybe even using another disk. The first thing I do when I install a copy of any windows is run the windows update. Usually you will have to restart then continue updating. The complete update process now takes around 1 hour or so because of so many different updates , bug fixes, and security fixes. But it is all worth it though. Once I update the computer I then install AVG Free antivirus which I download from Cnet.This antivirus actually works better I think then Norton or McAffee. Strange I Know but I have put it to the test by purposely giving myself a virus to see if it would be detected.I run a small computer company here in Sunny South Florida.My customers who I deal with our very happy I am here to walk them thru things.

Edited by sari, 30 October 2008 - 10:15 AM.
Removed virus removal information

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I have just had an email regarding my RMA, they are saying I have to pay to retreive my hard drive back as they cant find anything wrong with it..

I explained it was WDC software that found the fault on the harddrive and that I was using the windows based version... they are using the Dos version...

he says they are gonna re test the drive after downloading the dos version...

is there much difference between the 2 ??

I also explained that since taking the harddrive out the pc it has run faultless ever since.... but it didnt seem to go anywhere... if they dont find a fault with it by Monday they are making me pay to return a faulty product... Doesnt seem right at all..