Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OS suggestion for a 2003 Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply

gbowne1

gbowne1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 Laptop with 256MB and a 30gb HD. I've had this laptop since 2003 and It's running Microsoft Windows XP SP3 (that has been upgraded from SP1 then to SP2 then to SP3, with all the updates inbetween.)
The page file size is @ 1792MB and the Virtual Memory is @ 2047MB. I would like to know what OS I should look at upgrading to. I am considering upgrading the RAM )to the max) and the HD, but I could still use it ASIS.
I use it primarily for mobile email, web browsing, some hobbyist related works, watching some movies and listening to my .mp3 collection, as well as some chatting on paltalk and yahoo messenger. I have also used this to do large downloads from a torrent site, and a few p2p programs with the built in WiFi. Should I keep XP Professional SP3, downgrade to SP2 or change to an appropriate version of Vista? What abpit Ubuntu? I have an iPod 30gb Video, a Philips GoGear MP3/MP4 player and also use iTunes, MediaMonkey and WMP with the laptop. I also use it to watch YouTube and FanCast. I took the time to search for all the KB files it's had updated to it since it was new, and manualy downloaded them from the microsoft support site to a disk I burnt so that it could be manually updated.

Suggestions anyone?

Advertisements

Bennie_boy

Bennie_boy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i'd personally stick with xp sp3, vista wouldnt run on those specs, ubuntu is good but you'd have to manually re-install every piece of software and not all software is supported with ubuntu,

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Switching to Ubuntu is a choice that only you can make. It will require you to learn a completely different Operating System. After learning the Operating System though, most people end up preffering Linux over Windows. You can also try Unix, which has similarities to Linux. An example of Unix is the Apple Operating System. One that you can try for free is called OpenSolaris.

Here are links for the two Operating Systems;
Ubuntu
OpenSolaris

I believe both of these use LiveCD's. This means that you can put the CD into your computer, restart the computer, and run the Operating System without having to install it. Take note that the LiveCD will be quite a bit slower then if you actually installed the Operating System.

It never hurts to try something that costs you nothing. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Just know that my experience with the two Operating Systems is very limited at this time.

P.S. As previously stated by Bennie_Boy, Vista is probably not even an option, since it has some strict hardware requirements. To see exactly what you would need to upgrade in order to run Vista, you can use this Upgrade Advisor to find out.

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. What about Redhat Fedora? Solaris 10? Mandrake/Mandriva?

Other versions of Windows? Seems to me that XP Pro. and XP Home SP3 work a lot better with 1 to 2gb at least as seen on my mom's PC and my other PC's.

Greg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

256MB of RAM is pathetic... The minimum I recommend to anyone for XP is 512MB. And as you've noticed, it flies nicely on 1GB.

I would upgrade the RAM, and keep XP SP3.

Also, you should re-read the TOU - we don't support or allow discussion of P2P programs, you're asking for malware infection. I advise you to remove them.

Cheers

Troy

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Troy,

I am not here for support of P2P programs. I was just trying to state my needs. Today I purchased two Kingston 1gb PC2700 SODIMM's after confirming this is what it supports. XP Professional SP3 runs great now. Probably could use a clean reinstall of XP Professional. I was surprised on how improved the speed is with the big jump I made, not much in the way of download speed, but.. it all works just fine. It probably will run Vista fine right now.

I'm running low on disk space on it. It has a drive with about 27-28gb of total space. Kinda sad too.. but some day I will improve that. Any ideas here? The new Dell laptops have pretty large hard drives comparatively. What type and drive size and/or type should I look for to buy?

Greg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
A 2003 computer would have an IDE hard drive, you'd be looking at a 2.5" (notebook size). Probably something like an 80 or 120 GB drive. Or you could invest in an external hard drive.

Good to hear it's running better with the RAM upgrade. Download speeds is pretty much up to your ISP and the plan you're on.

Cheers

Troy

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Download speeds is pretty much up to your ISP and the plan you're on.

Thats only half of the battle. Download speeds are also determined by the speed of the web server you are downloading from. No matter how hard you try to improve your download speed, if they have a slow connection, then it will do you no good. (Not saying this is a huge problem though... Just a decent sized one...)

It probably will run Vista fine right now.

I definately wouldn't count that chicken before it hatched... Have you ran that upgrade advisor yet?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

It probably will run Vista fine right now.

What's the processor? If it's that old, I would guess probably a P4 or a Celeron of some sort - and not too fast either (I would guess probably not much faster then 2GHz. I DON'T KNOW THAT, THO. I'm just stating what I would guess.) Personally, I would not try and run Vista on that. I would just stick with XP Pro - by far the best of all the Windows versions, imho.

gbowne1

gbowne1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
At a glance it's a Intel Pentium 4 M (Mobile) processor. 2.4GHz. Other tests reveal it is a 2000 MHz (6x333) Northwood A80532.

As for the memory upgrade, the new data says Physical Memory usage is 19%, Swap Space is 10% and Virtual Mem is 14% usage. (see my first post for the original #'s.)

Right now it's running Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3.

Greg

windows7user1

windows7user1

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I Would Put Windows 7 on it. I have a Dell Laptop from 2003 and it runs just fine. :)

Edited by BHowett, 25 January 2010 - 11:49 AM.
removed offer