Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shuts off when watching videos online

• Please log in to reply

StampingJen

StampingJen

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Doesn't matter if my son is playing a video game on hotweels.com, or if I'm watching a video on youtube. Doesn't matter if other applications are open or not. It will play for a few minutes then the PC just shuts off, like you pressed the power button. No warning whatsoever, doesn't say anything about "system shutting down" like when you typically shut down Windows. We have to leave it off for about 10 minutes or so (maybe less, but have found 1 minute doesn't do the trick) in order to boot it up again.

The only thing different we did that I know of was switch from Dish Network to AT&T uVerse, so now using AT&T equipment. This issue seems to have started around the same time, but not 100% sure if it happened a day or 2 before we switched to uVerse.

Any ideas??

PC Info:
Windows XP version 2002, SP 3
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
3.20 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

Thanks!!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
First thoughts would be power supply ( maybe just a coincidence with the change to at&t ) and also overheating processor and/or video card... also check the logviewer for any errors...