Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hijacked search engines

• Please log in to reply

mike9999

mike9999

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I was just wondering about something. Maybe someone has an answer or can look into it.

I've been in discussions on a political blog, about the upcoming presidential election. There's a gentleman who was telling me about things he found out about a candidate using a Google search. I tried the same search and did not get the same results. Not even close. He could be lying, but I don't think so. Could someone be hijacking a search engine on a specific PC and intentionally returning false results?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Typically, a search engine hijack directs the user to a diiferent search site. I find it highly unlikely that someone would hijack a specific computer for political purposes in order to spread misinformation about a candidate. Without knowing more about the search that was performed and the results received, it's difficult to say more than that.

mike9999

mike9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I think it unlikely also. But is it possible? Would it be detectable through a hijack this scan? Can you imagine the ramifications of something like this? I forgot to mention, not only is there a difference in political ideology between the two of us, but a difference in region. One being the deep south, the other being the northeast corridor.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes there can be different results based on location. Also, results are live (not stagnant), so they will change to keep relevance.

A simple test is to try searching for exactly the same thing with two different search engines. Then you can try again in a few days and see what's changed.

Simply saying "A Google search told me that..." is not good enough, though. Make sure there is always current and appropriate links and references to backup one's points.

Troy