Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

BSOD's: Overheating problem? Fan stopped working

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

I started to get BSOD's recently. When a BSOD came, I would have to turn off the computer. The stop codes varied each time. After the BSOD, when I restarted the computer, it would get to the xp loading screen and then restart again. This happened again and again. Three times I got lucky and the computer booted, but performance was poor. After staying on for a little while, the BSOD would come again and the whole thing would repeat. I opened up the computer, cleaned some dust, and found that the fan died.

The last time I was able to boot the computer, I saved the windows error log files (.evt) Is it safe to post them so maybe you guys could identify the problem?

I think it's an overheating problem. Hot air coming out of the back when on. But, if it is a overheating problem, how come the computer doesn't boot even when it's been off for a long time. Has irreparable damage already been done? If that's true, how do I identify what parts to replace?

Thanks for the help
Much appreciated

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
it takes less than a second for a computer to overheat.... It's very possible that it is a heat issue... what processor is it? Most modern processors have built in thermal protection schemes to keep them from doing permanent damage if they overheat but that doesn't absolutly mean that there is no damage... especially since there was a lot of dust involved... the dust would cause it to heat up faster as it is often an insulator holding the heat in... First thing you need to do is replace the dead fan and maybe the heatsink and thermal compound.... Then you may want to run a memory tester( like memtest86...google is your friend to find this ) .... not only will that test your memory but will give the computer a bit of a workout to see if it's going to overheat again....

good luck