Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(windows) Explorer.exe runnini 100% cpu usage

• Please log in to reply

dadzilla

dadzilla

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have researched this topic to death and found there as many answere as there are posts about it. Seems everyone has a specific problem and a specific solution.

Unless I end task for explorer.exe my cpu usage is @ 100% and nothing else will run. Once I end task everything runs fine.

Where do I start???? :)

Advertisements

nessyguin

nessyguin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi dadzilla , you can start by identifying the process(es) using up your CPU resources . Ctrl Alt + Del to call up Task Manager . Select the Processes tab and let us know what processes are at high CPU usage . As you have intimated there are a multitude of possibilities and google will throw up a million or more so the first step is to try and narrow things down to what's on your PC ...

dadzilla

dadzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I pull up the task manager "explorer.exe" is generally running at 80% to 85% and "system" is using the remainder of processor to bring usage up to 100%.

Running XP Home Version

nessyguin

nessyguin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
These are precautionary steps , I hasten to add . There's every possibility this is just a software issue but it's wise to determine the absence or presence of malware as early as possible .

I'm based in Ireland so will be here on and off over the next few hours while the other half of the world sleeps :)

dadzilla

dadzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am running Norton AntiVirus and it is up to date and I run routine scans. Also running Adaware and Spybot S&D, both up to date and scans run regularly. Running automatic updates for windows so I should be good there also.

dadzilla

dadzilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
nessyguin,

Where did you go?? Been waiting for further help on this subject.
If ther is anyone else out there willing to help I would appreciate it.

Rich

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Norton is a huge resource hog, I would guess that is responsible

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Get Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx, and see what sub-process(es) of explorer are eating up your CPU.

James K

James K

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I'm not sure if this would help, but I had the same problem before..