Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

admin Password?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have been cleaning a pc up that was really infested for a friend of mine. There was no password on this PC at all . I have rebooted a dozen times. Only after removing IE7 and rebooting did it come up and ask for a password. I booted into safe mode and tried to go into Admin but it ask for a pass word there too. This is loaded with Media center. Is there any other tricks to get by this with out formatting the drive. Thanks

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Picky

If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Mircosoft article:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Regards

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Like I said there was never a password on this PC and all of a sudden it needs one . This is strange but can be connected maybe to all the infestations I cleaned up over 1200. Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Then we can't help you here any further. If you carefully read all of the options, you'll see this:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Obviously if malware has "added" a password, then this would be applicable here also.

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at Geeks to Go do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Topic Closed.

Troy