Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro Disc To repair XP Home?

• Please log in to reply

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It never asked for a product key.

And the thing is so screwed up now its unreal. Nothing works. The Internet in extremely slow. When you click on control panel, it says this is not available except from the network. What network?

No programs work except for his games like call of duty and such.

He has a new harddrive and I have a frsh version of XP Pro with a product key. We're just going to move what we can from his old harddrive to my 500GB external. Then do clean install on the new internal and reload his stuff back on.

Hopefully we'll have some success.

Richard

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Did you use the Dell CD? The Dell setup doesn't ask for a product key - when you use a regular CD (which does ask for a key code) and go to put in the Dell key code, it doesn't work. Ask me how I know :) :)

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah I used the Dell reinstallation disc. This disc has only SP1 on it! And my dad has 5 years worth of crap on his computer. Maybe nothing works because he need all kinds of drivers and so on.

Anyway, we're going to try a new HD with a new OS and load his stufff on that. Give him a fresh start.

Thanks

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yeah, been there done that too - you'll definitely want to upgrade to at least SP2, probably SP3. Good luck with the transition - let us know what happens!