Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it the PSU?

• Please log in to reply

INFP

INFP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I accidentally turned my machine off today (stupid power button at the top of the keyboard). I always have my machine on. When I tried to turn it back on I got nothing. No fans spinning up, no LEDS on the case lighting up, nada. I looked inside the machine and the green LED on the motherboard shows that it at least thinks its getting power. I've tried manually shorting the power on pins on the mobo but to no avail. [/quickeddit] I also tried resetting the motherboard BIOS [/quickedit] Is this a motherboard or psu problem?

Also the specs.
E6600
2gig ram
8800GTS
enermax liberty 500W (i think)

Edited by INFP, 28 October 2008 - 11:53 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not gonna be able to help you past this suggestion, but you might unplug the computer for several minutes then plug it in and retry power up.

INFP

INFP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah did that. I plugged the power supply into an older machine (but was still compatible) and erm...loud firework pop. Im guessing it was the PSU

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sure sounds like the PSU to me after that description. :) Try buying a larger power PSU. Most come with around a 300-350 watt, but a 500-600 watt is much better. Additional fans/cleaning wouldn't hurt if not done already.