Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac vs. PC (PIC)

• Please log in to reply

SusieDent

SusieDent

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://www.freshbite...45936_11096.htm

As a Mac user, I found this pretty funny because it's partially true - at least before the transition to Intel.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, but look at the prices! :)

And the games! :)

*Troy would prefer the PC... :)

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
*JT would too

At least PC's have decent graphics! :)

:)

Edited by jt1990, 30 October 2008 - 02:28 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Apple is a master at marketing and little else. Even their MP3 players are lackluster, yet everyone jumps for them.
I'd choose PC any day of the week, there would be no hesitation in my decision.
James

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It's sarcastic in one of the mac commercials that microsoft is using most of the money towards advertising vista. Isn't apple doing exactly the same thing? This is just hilarious. Who would buy a computer of any kind from apple when you can get a 2x~3x faster PC about the same price?

Oh and btw, james, are you the "james_8970" on ncix?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

This is just hilarious. Who would buy a computer of any kind from apple when you can get a 2x~3x faster PC about the same price?

Maybe it is because BASH is absurdly superior to DOS? Or maybe it is Because the BSD kernel is better than the Windows kernel? But then again, Apple didn't even write it and you can install BSD on a PC for free....

Edited by Titan8990, 05 November 2008 - 01:36 PM.

Teh King

Teh King

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would love a PC any day over a MAC

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I would love a PC any day over a MAC

Your avatar kind of gives that away.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Maybe it is because BASH is absurdly superior to DOS? Or maybe it is Because the BSD kernel is better than the Windows kernel? But then again, Apple didn't even write it and you can install BSD on a PC for free....

You saved yourself there... Mac vs. PC, not Mac vs. Windows PC. Linux and Unix are valid flavors of the PC. What happens if you compare a Unix PC vs a Mac? You have pretty much the same software, but better hardware on the PC right?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

You saved yourself there... Mac vs. PC, not Mac vs. Windows PC. Linux and Unix are valid flavors of the PC. What happens if you compare a Unix PC vs a Mac? You have pretty much the same software, but better hardware on the PC right?

Basically.... The only advantage I would see the MAC having is that it is the only OS that has a dock which is not buggy. Although, Avant-Window-Navigator as came a long way, it still has many issue. Don't even want to talk about the dock options for Windows....

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

This is just hilarious. Who would buy a computer of any kind from apple when you can get a 2x~3x faster PC about the same price?

Actually, DOS went away with Windows ME (not that the average user ever uses command shells...) and Mac OS X is based on XNU, which is part Mach and part BSD.

Sometimes I just want to call Apple and remind them... a Mac is a personal computer (PC)!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Actually, DOS went away with Windows ME (not that the average user ever uses command shells...) and Mac OS X is based on XNU, which is part Mach and part BSD.

The Windows CLI is heavily DOS based. When you open up cmd.exe, it is more or less a basic DOS shell. They are currently trying to replace DOS with their new Windows Power Shell.

I was unaware that Apple wrote their own kernel for MAC OS X. I had the understanding that it was a copy and paste of the BSD kernel.

I live by CLI. Suppose I am not the average user.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Actually, cmd.exe is a native program built for NT-based systems. It attempts to act like a DOS-like CLI, but it is not one. The Windows CLI hasn't been an actual DOS program (COMMAND.COM) since Windows ME. You can read more about it here.

You can read more about XNU (Mac OS X's kernel) here.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought XP had both cmd.exe and command.com...

When you open up cmd.exe, it is more or less a basic DOS shell.

If cmd.exe is an upgrade to command.com then I would consider that to be "more or less" the same thing... Maybe not the EXACT same thing, but that is why you use phrases like "more or less"...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, I think it's use is close enough to be considered the same by the end user. I downloaded a DOSBox emulator in Linux to play around with and the commands were the same as cmd.exe. From what I have seen DOS seriously lacks a command line text editor such as vi or nano (nano would be my personal favorite).

cmd.exe seems to be the same as the terminals that are emulated in Linux or in MAC. It is not an "official" BASH shell either but a emulation: xterm. Does not seem to be the case in the Gnome Desktop environment, however: Gnome Terminal.