Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac vs. PC (PIC)

• Please log in to reply

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Yes, I think it's use is close enough to be considered the same by the end user. I downloaded a DOSBox emulator in Linux to play around with and the commands were the same as cmd.exe. From what I have seen DOS seriously lacks a command line text editor such as vi or nano (nano would be my personal favorite).

cmd.exe seems to be the same as the terminals that are emulated in Linux or in MAC. It is not an "official" BASH shell either but a emulation: xterm. Does not seem to be the case in the Gnome Desktop environment, however: Gnome Terminal.

Didn't dos have the EDIT editor. I seem to remember editing things using the command. EDIT autoexec.bat for example. That is about as much as I remember about DOS other than the basic commands like dir /p and how to get around and things like that. For cmd.exe all those still apply plus the wonderful ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew.

On the other hand VI was the bane of my existance sophmore and senior year of undergrad. I had teachers on both that REQUIRED us to use VI. I am a chemist for pete sake. Yet when we submitted Gaussian calculations to UKs super computer they required us to edit the files in VI. Both tested us on VI's commands etc.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 18 November 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

On the other hand VI was the bane of my existance sophmore and senior year of undergrad. I had teachers on both that REQUIRED us to use VI. I am a chemist for pete sake. Yet when we submitted Gaussian calculations to UKs super computer they required us to edit the files in VI. Both tested us on VI's commands etc.

VI is an excellent CLI editor but it is not because of its ease of use. It is taught in schools because vi is something that all UNIX based systems have.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

VI is an excellent CLI editor but it is not because of its ease of use. It is taught in schools because vi is something that all UNIX based systems have.

yeah, once you learn it. It gets to be really nice and predictable to use, but learning those commands was frustrating.

Also, lots of Kentuckians on here. Just saw one person from frankfurt and you are from Lousiville (I'm from Lexington).

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
*The Admiral runs for cover from Stettybet and Titan's latest argument....

:)

I would take a PC Mac over an Apple Mac any day! (I may or may not run both on my Dell, lol)

Edited by The Admiral, 24 November 2008 - 09:38 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry The Admiral, but you just got yourself caught in the crosshairs. :) Please explain the difference between a "PC Mac" and an "Apple Mac", keeping in mind that all Macs are made by Apple and all Macs are PCs.

Lonely…

Lonely…

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also can`t understand this

"PC Mac" and an "Apple Mac"

:) :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
haha I guess I could clarify... OSX running on a "PC", like Psystar's open computing solutions. :)

edited to fix link

Edited by BHowett, 26 November 2008 - 11:01 AM.