Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet security (I think)

• Please log in to reply

nanny_b_one

nanny_b_one

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am new to this so please be patient, I have had a computer running XP with F-Secure antivirus.
After becoming very slow I ran a diagnostic program Trand Micro Housecall, it took seven hours to run.
I identified several trojans and a backdoor entry, all of which I was able to get rid of.
I then installed AVG antivirus (after deleting F-Secure) this program then found another 11 problems, some Malware, some trojan plus adaware
all items were sent to virus vault. Ran scan again still found more.
With all these unwanted items in vault computer has speeded up alot.
The problem I have now is when signing onto Internet Banking I am asked for the usual, sign in name, password and secuity password, 3 letters of a word or phrase in drop down boxes but also asks for this information to be written in full in another box. I have checked with the bank this is not correct. It's not just one bank account it's the same on others.

Have I got something still lurking in my computer trying to get hold of my personal information?

Sorry it's such an essay but thought knowing what I've done might help.

Look foward to your reply.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
nanny_b_one,

It's a good thing you checked with your bank, and I hope you haven't entered your information in these boxes. Many backdoor programs will try to get this information and use it to steal your identity, bank account information, etc. I recommend you go to a different, secure computer, if possible, and change any online passwords immediately. Then please go to the malware forum. Read this thread, but since you've already run a number of programs, I suggest you skip to Step 5 and post a hijackthis log, with the same explanation that you gave here. In the meantime, even if you've changed your passwords, avoid using this computer for any kind of online transactions until you've been helped. I hope I didn't scare you, but it's important to make sure you're safe online. :)

sari

nanny_b_one

nanny_b_one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sari,
Thank you for your swift reply, I will do as suggested and post details of log
for more advice.

Kindest regards,

Nanny_b_one