Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIndows 7

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
:) for those of you responding to me, lets see if you can remember this time :)

If anybody has new info on this operating system, please continue On it here.

Edited by gr8joel, 31 October 2008 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, it's not like Windows 7 is going to be commercially available anytime soon. A Google search finds reference to it being released in late 2009-early 2010, although there are no specific dates as yet. The basic architecture of Windows 7 will not differ from that of Vista, either. Here is a recent article on what the new interface will look like; it's really the user interface that will change more than the basic architecture.

If you're that frustrated with Vista, why not ask for some help in the forums? We have a lot of people who are familiar with it and have been using it for some time. If you have specific areas of frustration, they may be able to help you with some tweaks and modifications that will make it more to your liking.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
I am sorry but there is no reason to ever get a Windows version for free. Just because you waited so long to purchase it doesnt mean a thing. It has already been out for almost 2 years. The lifecycle of Windows is not that long. The longest time ver between Windows was the gap between XP and Vista. Before that you had:

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP.

The longest time between any of those was 2 years. It was even less when it came to the later ones. The gap between Windows 2000 and XP was less than a year.

So to complain cause Vista will be out for roughly 3 years is not a worthy excuse to get Win7 for free. As for the shutdown and startup. Why do people listen to such falacies about these things? Vista was promptes to have a 15 second boot. Did that happen? No. So why do people believe that Win7 will have it?

Win7 is Pre-beta. They still have the Beta and the RC stages to get thru. The reason i know.

Check the time and date stamp on the clock in the right side.

Edited by Makaveli213, 31 October 2008 - 09:18 PM.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
yes ill say it again mac sucks and U DO PAY TAXES. haha

Edited by gr8joel, 31 October 2008 - 05:14 PM.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Thats funny. I dont pay taxes. :)

The new features wont be available for downgrades jsut as Aero isnt availabe for XP nor is DX10 nor is many of the other things from Vista available for XP. If they made it available what would be the sense of releasing the new OS? Since everything would be available for use on teh old OS. If that was the case we could still be on Win95 while using the stuff today.

The new features require a change in the code and kernel. Which would require more than just a download to get it workign in Vista. It would require more than a SP as well. It would require a major change to how Vista operates. Which is why these changes are being made to Win7 so they can properly test it and get it working righ instead of trying to force it on Vista and create more issues.

Win7 well have a more optimized Kernel. The Code will be optimized. There will be more changes to the GUI that are not in my screenshot but were shown at PDC. There are even more changes coming that we dont even know about. To say make it avaiable for download on Vista is a joke cause it just cant happen. There would basically have to be a rewrite of the OS. Wait they are doing that. They are calling it Win7. :)

Does that make it more clear as to why they jsut cant give it to Vista users?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
@ Makaveli213, you're prohibited by the non-disclosure agreement from posting screenshots of the Windows 7 beta. I'd suggest you remove them, before I get a request to take them down.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I think what annoy's me the most about Windows 7 is that Microsoft knows that Vista isn't the perfect operating system and they know there are still fixes that need to be made, and yet they're (at least implying) that they're putting us Vista Users (I just bought Ultimate SP1 for my new pc two months ago) on the back-burner and worrying more about the "New and Improved"...."Windows 7."
(Mabe Microsoft should change their priorities :) )

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 will be released before Windows 7.

Don't believe all the Apple marketing hype. :)

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thank's admin! :)

I'm glad, because it would be a shame if Windows 7 turned into another Vista catastrophe...

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
U still dont get it

Let me walk you through it one more time

They should have updates for vista to fix all these problems instead of making another os.

ok thats the last time i will say it.

bye the way mac sucks :)

Edited by gr8joel, 31 October 2008 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Perhaps if you'd stated it clearly the first time - we all interpreted it as Vista users should get Windows 7 as an update. Please watch the attitude also, there's no need to insult our intelligence.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

bye the way mac sucks

There is nothing wrong with the MAC OSX or BSD that it is strongly based off of. The only reason you see many people on these forums show a dislike for them is the proprietary hardware that you are forced to get.

Also, to the OP. I'm not a personal fan of Microsoft's release practices either. I will not purchase another Windows OS until XP stops running my games. There are alternatives to Windows, other than MAC OSX. There is BSD, Solaris, and Linux. All great operating systems but all could potentially lack software that you need.

You have a choice. This is the reason that you should not get the next version for free. If you want a free OS, go download a free OS. IMO there are many out there that are better than Windows in many ways.

Edited by Titan8990, 31 October 2008 - 05:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

They should have updates for vista to fix all these problems instead of making another os.

The Vista code is constantly being adjusted through updates...or haven't you noticed?

Let's look at Vista another way. How many computers are there in your home running Vista? Do they all have the same hardware/software configurations? How about in your city...how many Vista machines do you suppose there are in your city? Do you also suppose that all those machines have exactly the same hardware/software configuration? How many machines in your country run Vista? On your continent?

Personal Computers are almost as individual as the people who own them. I'd say Microsoft has done some pretty phenomenal work to have Vista running on such a diverse conglomerate of hardware and software and done it globally (in many different languages) without much problem at all. Sure, you hear about this problem and that problem, but realistically, it's only the problems you hear about. What about those of us who have no problems at all with Vista? You don't hear from us because we have no complaints. I find that the vast majority of problems with Vista originate with the end user not understanding how to properly use the operating system or with software and/or hardware that is not supported well in Vista.

It's different than previous operating systems...not terribly different, but different none the less. Vista manages system resources differently and more efficiently than earlier versions of Windows. The indexing is faster and searches more accurate in Vista. Vista installed on compatible hardware is stable as can be...it's when third party software or "untested" hardware enters the picture that you start seeing problems. Most stability problems in Vista can be traced to poorly written drivers for old or very new hardware.

Vista is also more secure than previous Windows versions. Are there holes in Vista? You bet there are...and they are being addressed as soon as they are discovered. With decent surfing habits and good security software installed, there should be very few security concerns with Vista.

I heard all these same complaints about XP when it was released and I suppose Windows 7 will go the same route. Creating an operating system is an infinitely more complex task than most people realize. It's like creating a pair of gloves that will fit each individual's hands...right down to the fingerprints. I'd say Microsoft has done a pretty admirable job.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Just curious, what problem(s) are you having with Vista that need fixing? Please be specific.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP

@ Makaveli213, you're prohibited by the non-disclosure agreement from posting screenshots of the Windows 7 beta. I'd suggest you remove them, before I get a request to take them down.

Sorry no i am not. What is discussed in the Newsgroups is covered by the NDA. Discussion the M3 build and posting screenshots is not. The M3 Build itself is not under NDA. Go ahead and contact them. This is what we were told in our Announcement section.

I know what the NDA covers. I have not broken it in any way. I did not give out any information that has been discussed nor have i copy and pasted anything from the Newsgroup posting. There are screenshots all over the web and from the PDC itself.

I think you for your concern. But i have not broken NDA in any way, shape or form. If you wish them removed from the forum cause it violates your rules. That is fine. But please do not tell me i violated the NDA when i have not.

yes ill say it again mac sucks and U DO PAY TAXES. haha

No i dont. My job is to raise my child. I personally do not pay taxes cause i techincally dont have a income to pay taxes on. Dont assume to know information about me. I have nothing to hide. When i say something. I am telling the truth. My wife pays taxes yes. But i do not. There is a difference.

Edited by Makaveli213, 31 October 2008 - 09:19 PM.