Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The aftermath of SpSeHjfix

• Please log in to reply

Basalt Necktie

Basalt Necktie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello people. I (along with many others, it would seem) have had a recent problem with that whole se.dll dealy. I used the advice given to a couple others by the helpful people here: namely to run SpSeHjFix.

On the plus side, all traces of the nasty trojan seem to have been removed. On the :? side, so have a number of (at least what I thought were) harmless registry entries. File associations for certain extensions along with .lnk, .scf, and who knows what else. Now I can't be certain it was the SpSeHjFix program that removed all of these, but they were intact before I ran the program, and gone afterwards..

My question is just: is this normal? Nothing I saw in any of the other threads mentioned anything like this. Is there something else I should be worried about?

I found a lnk.reg, reinstalled some programs (which incidentally fixed a problem I was having with Adobe Reader) - all in all, fixing these things aren't that big a deal. I just don't know why it happened in the first place, and I'm not certain there weren't necessary registry entries that were removed that I don't know about.

Also if anyone can point me to how to replace the missing .scf entry, I'd appreciate it. :tazz:

Thanks in advance,
-bn

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Knowing what I know about About:Blank, I cannot see how a fix would blow the associations away....it is not normal.

As for restoring, download the following, then double click to merge...help?

Attached Files

Basalt Necktie

Basalt Necktie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, it wasn't all the associations. Thank goodness, too, because I'd really be in the dark if .exe were gone..

And after downloading that zip:
I've noticed I don't have a .reg association anymore as well - I sort of noticed that with the lnk.reg I used, but I had regedit open anyway and click&drag works fine with that.
And, the reg file there did put a .scf entry into the registry, but Show Desktop.scf still isn't working. I can live without it, but it's ... odd.

Sometimes I think my computer is possessed or something. :tazz: