Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Media Center freezes at start up screen...

• Please log in to reply

AJ10

AJ10

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running Windows Media Center on my desktop computer. For some reason, lately, it freezes at "Windows is starting up..." screen. I tried to run safe mode -- all of the safe modes. No dice. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Do you have the Windows CD? Can you run a repair install of Windows?

If you don't know how to do that, click here for directions.

Edited by jt1990, 31 October 2008 - 07:36 AM.

AJ10

AJ10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I do not have the Windows Media CD -- unfortunately -- any ideas?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is this XP Media Center or Vista Media Center?

AJ10

AJ10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
XP Media Center.

nessyguin

nessyguin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi AJ10 , had you made any hardware changes prior to this problem occurring ? How much RAM have you got installed ? What graphics card and are the drivers updated ? Any USB devices connected at startup - and if so what are they ?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but your answers will help in narrowing down possible causes ..

Destinyscheeks

Destinyscheeks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this site and I too am suffering with the same issues as AJ10. I too have a Windows XP Media Center & I also don't have a Windows CD. I have tried:

•The command which checks & automatically fixes errors (My Computer > C:Drive > Properties ... Scan for errors. I have done this for both my C & D drive)
•System recovery (at least every other day)

These only work temporarily.

Please know that I am not technically "with it", but I will try my very best to find the answer to your questions.

Regarding your current questions to AJ10, my RAM was changed a month or so ago (I'm 80% sure it's 612MB). I also bought a 3-in1 Epson Stylus SX105 but it mainly freezes when Media Center is open.

At present, the PC won't start up properly. The windows xp startup screen has bleeds and then it freezes so I have to reboot it from the processor. I will try and turn it on again in the morning but any advise would be appreciated.

*This is not a hijack :)