Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple BSOD error messages.

• Please log in to reply

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. I have a Dell Dimension E520 running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

When trying to boot into Windows, I receive the following BSOD error message just after the Windows splash screen:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x000000000 0x000000000).
The system has been shut down.

I've read a few solutions on how to repair this type of issue, all coming from slinging commands into recovery console but there is one more issue - I can't run my Windows XP start-up disk without receiving the following error after setup has loaded all files and is about to display the screen where I can choose to go into recovery console...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....(gives steps to resolve issue including checking for viruses and running chkdsk /F, etc...)

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A8A524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I've tried a different Windows XP disk, I've replaced the RAM, I've replaced the HDD, I've removed all components from the motherboard except for mission critical devices (HDD, CD-ROM, FAN, PROCESSOR and I've also reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery). I am still receiving the error when trying to install Windows XP...even with everything removed and new RAM and HDD installed.

I really am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas or insight is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Edited by ZEN-JJB, 29 October 2008 - 02:09 PM.

Advertisements

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've also installed a new CD-ROM drive and changed all the cabling for the hard drive. I am still receiving the same error message when trying to re-load Windows XP.

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
bump.

This is frustrating.

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any ideas?

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I've tried a different Windows XP disk, I've replaced the RAM, I've replaced the HDD, I've removed all components from the motherboard except for mission critical devices (HDD, CD-ROM, FAN, PROCESSOR and I've also reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery). I am still receiving the error when trying to install Windows XP...even with everything removed and new RAM and HDD installed.

I really am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas or insight is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

You have changed everything in your system but three things you haven't change. Your CPU and your mobo and your PSU.
I would like to know what is the latest error code that you have received for your system.

You may start with your PSU 1st. Insufficient of power may lead to hardware failure and ends up BSOD.
If changing PSU still does not solve the problem. Then only proceed with your motherboard.

Add: By the way, please let me know the combination of your RAM and your HDD type (SATA or IDE).
For your HDD, please SWAP the IDE slot or SATA slot and try.

Thanks

Edited by sUBtech, 30 October 2008 - 11:35 AM.

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a PSU coming through the mail, should have it by tomorrow to try it out...

...but I didn't think about switching from SATA to IDE for the HDD, good look! I am going to try that a little bit later and I will post back with progress.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a motherboard/processor for the PC laying around either...once it gets to that level...I'd probably just purchase a new motherboard/cpu and cut my loses (plus have a reason to upgrade).

Thanks again for the advise, sometimes I need to just walk away from something and get some insight from someone that isn't frustrated!

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Good day.
Nice to hear that i am somehow able to enlighten you.
Please come back to us if you encounter any issue further.
Thanks

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I will definitely post back once I have some (hopefully promising) news!

Thanks again!

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No difference with a different PSU. Tested the current PSU as well, passed with flying colors.

The motherboard has no IDE slots, only FDD and SATA. Boo.

Any other thoughts, ideas, etc? I have no way of testing the CPU and/or Motherboard...if it has to go to that level, both will just be replaced.

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

No difference with a different PSU. Tested the current PSU as well, passed with flying colors.

The motherboard has no IDE slots, only FDD and SATA. Boo.

Any other thoughts, ideas, etc? I have no way of testing the CPU and/or Motherboard...if it has to go to that level, both will just be replaced.

Good day,
A few question to you so that i can have idea on how to help you.

• How many SATA slot you have in your system?
  • What is the combination of your RAM?

My suggestion would be as for now:
  • Try swap your SATA cable from SATA0 to SATA1 or other SATA port and see if it can runs.
  • Run your system with one stick of RAM

you receive BUGCHECK CODE 0X7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE which means that your current HDD is having problem. But after changing your HDD, are you having the same trouble?
Please enter your BIOS and make sure that your BIOS detects your HDD before you proceed with Windows Setup.

Thanks
sUBtech

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've already tried changing all the SATA cabling / switching from SATA 0 to 1 and so on...

I have also already tried booting with one stick of RAM in different RAM modules and even trying a new stick of RAM in different RAM modules with no luck as well.

BIOS detects HDD and HDD is not mechanically failing as I've taken the HDD out and plugged into another computer and Disk Management reads the disk as healthy and I am able to access all the data on the HDD.

I am running some diagnostics right now on the machine...if nothing fails...I am going to try to run a Ubuntu live disk to see how that goes...

sUBtech

sUBtech

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Hi there ZEN-JJB,
If that is the case, high possibility a faulty MOBO that result this. Your mobo won't stay for long in my opinion.
One advice is make sure that your mobo metal does not touches the casing metal, or else it might be short circuit causing the mobo failure.

Thanks

sUBtech

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That is what I am leaning toward as well...

I've closely examined the MOBO and I haven't noticed any corrosion to any of the capacitors or on the board itself.

I wish I had a motherboard to swap out that fits the same socket CPU to really single it out.

Here is a question...if I am able to run Ubuntu from a live CD ... what does that say about my MOBO ... ???

ZEN-JJB

ZEN-JJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
bump it up!