Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

on my cooling system...

• Please log in to reply

watershoes

watershoes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was going to add a extra cooling system i pulled off of a old comp of mine to my current comp (just for kicks)
and i go to take the little cooler fan thingy the blow out all the dust. but when i pulled it off theres this white gooby stuff that looks a bit like cream cheese and im not to sure if its some type of run off from somewhere else in the system (like that stuff the battery acid makes sometimes) or if its spouse to be there (not to sure why) so i dont know if i should leave it there or clean it off.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Did you take this fan right off of a component (CPU, GPU, etc.) or was it a case fan? That "gooby stuff" sounds like thermal paste, and it ensures good heat transfer between the component and the fan's heatsink. If this is the case, first of all, don't turn on that old computer! Without any cooling on the component you removed the fan from, you could seriously damage your computer. Second, a fan made for cooling a specific component is typically not suitable for case cooling. An extra case fan won't significantly help you clean out dust, anyways. To clean out dust, open up the computer and, ensuring the computer is off and unplugged, use compressed air to blow away the dust.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Polite warning!
Only use compressed air from a can, NOT from a compresser. This my friend did, with horrific results.