Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

trouble with my rebuild

• Please log in to reply

saint313

saint313

• Pip
  • 1 posts
its probably a simple solution. i rebuilt my entire computer. im using the same disk drives, hard drives etc as before, just changed motherboards ethernet and sound cards. when i start up the computer it says the "detecting IDE Drives..." it sits there for about 45 seconds then it says. Primary master, slave master etc... all say :none. it does not find them.then it goes on to say disk boot failure in another screen. i have gone into the system bios and tryed alot of diffrent things but cant seem to fix it. if anyone has a suggestion please help me out its hard to fix my computer when i need help but dont have a computer to use to get the help lol

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Is this a factory built, such as Dell, HP, etc that you have redone?
Are you using the same OS as on the previous unit?
Does the hard drive contain the original OS?
Is the drive ide or sata?
You have changed mother boards and therfore need to install the drivers, pci, and other board components.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Did you exactly reconnect the drives? IE in the same order (with the cables) as you removed them.

123Runner, has a good question is it IDE or SATA?

But 123Runner, the operating system on the drive right now is not REALLY important as the OP states he gets a disk boot failure meaning that what he stated before that is the main problem. That being that the drives are not being recognized in the bios.

Are all the cables firmly seated? if yes continue

I would say that the drives are not connected right, and if they are using CS or MS / SL Positions on the jumper array on the back of the drive. As it is extremely possible that the jumpers may need to be reset in order for the new mobo the see them. Although highly unlikely it is possible.

My last guess is that one drive is in CS mode and one drive is in either Master or Slave mode, and the Cable is conflicting with the drives setting for its primary / secondary position on the bios.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
amw_drizz

But 123Runner, the operating system on the drive right now is not REALLY important as the OP states he gets a disk boot failure meaning that what he stated before that is the main problem. That being that the drives are not being recognized in the bios.

You are correct in this. Just trying to get as much info as possible. Because this will create more issues once the comp boots.

Have you actually looked in the bios to see if the drives are seen?