Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot re-install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Godsproperty1952

Godsproperty1952

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a problem installing programs on my laptop, whenever I did, I got a blue screen stating that it was dumping memory. So i tried re-installing XP. When it starting copying the files, I got a message that "it cannot copy files...". I stopped the installation and re-started it again. It said the same thing, but it could not copy another set of files. Can anyone help? I cannot re-install Windows XP. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2600, 1.8 Ghz, 1G RAM

Edited by Godsproperty1952, 29 October 2008 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
very often caused by a faulty RAM module. You can test the RAM by running the free 'memtest86' from here:
http://www.memtest86.com/

Click on "Free download" on left of page and download ISO to create a bootable memtest CD. Obviously you'll need access to a working PC to download it, and to create CD from it the PC must have software installed that can unpack and write ISO contents to a blank CD (eg Nero)

Edited by phillip22, 30 October 2008 - 04:58 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Possibly dirty CD. Does CD drive works OK?