Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOST document,serious problem.Please help

• Please log in to reply

perozdero

perozdero

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone.
Today i opened a word document directly from a winrar file/window and started editing it without ''saving it as'' somwhere else..To make matters worse it eas smoething important and i've been working on that text for hours.. I've been saving it trough ''save'' shortcut (little picture of a disquette) from time to time, and i have autosave turned on. As i finished i closed winrar window from where i opened the document. And after one more ''save'' i closed the word document i was editing. When i realized that i didnt do a 'save as' and the location of the document still points to winrar i opend the same winrar document only to find out that it is unchanged, and doesnt contain anything i edited and wrote for hours... :)
later I tried every Temp folder but the best i could find was a nonworking shortcut.
I did an experiment with another document opened directly from winrar and edited the color of letters, closed the winrar window, saved the document and closed it. I could find it in C:\Documents and Settings\Pero\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent in folder Rar$DI71.xxx and it worked, but as soon as i opened and closed another winrar file, i couldnt open the folder or the document because the shortcut refered to the file as changed or moved..
I can see by time modyfied that there's a Rar$ type folder that could be the one created with my original file but i cant open it cause its an invalid shortcut.

does anyone have any suggestions if my original word document is retrievable somehow, or at least an explanation of what hapens with a document when it's opened directly from some winrar file/window and than saved (not saved as) while the winrar window is closed?
i would much appreciate any information... :)

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Just a shot in the dark - try your Temporary Internet folders - documents sometimes find their way in there.

Should be under c:\WINNT\Temporary Internet folders\Content.IE7 (or similar)

Or..... try using the search function, use *.doc as your criteria.