Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help, I have screwed everything up...

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Last week I got an e-mail offering a free uninstaller. I "installed" it and ran it. It found quite a bit of stuff and I allowed it to remove the remnants it found. And nothing has been the same ever since. When I rebooted, it said that necessary files, dll's or something like that were missing. That message appeared about 10 seconds after I pushed the power button. It could not start Windows. I tried everything I could think of, safe mode, F@, F10, all of that and nothing worked. So I got out my HP recovery disc and choose the setting I thought would allow everything I had on before the problem to remain there. Well, after it did its thing, some, but not all of my folders I had on the desktop were there. No shortcuts or any of the other stuff. As I remembered various folders, I did a search and found them listed as being on the desktop. I would then copy and place them back there. Most programs contained within do not work unless I reinstall. It appears as if everything is all right, but it is not. The computer will not shut down unless I hit: CTRL-ALT-Delete and then shut down from there. Anyone have any ideas how I could get it back to the way it was? Also, when I got back on and checked out system restore, all restore points were gone. Any advice, help you can offer is appreciate and I thank you in advance for it.

Advertisements

Aichi

Aichi

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Do you have a Recovery Console?

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am not sure. I looked everywhere and could not find anything that says that. I do have three discs that are recovered discs. When I did the recovery or thought I was, it only used one disc. Maybe the other two may contain that. I will check very soon. If it is on the computer, where would I find it?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You did an "over the top" recovery. This is used to restore the system (operating system) files, but, unlike system restore, does not restore your system as it was before.
What ever folders (files), and applications have been damaged by what ever you did where not repaired.
Your data was not repaired as well.
Try to save all of your data to flash drive or disc, and then do a full system recovery.
You will have to reinstall all of your programs, update all of your software, and restore your data.
You must use care when using free software. The free programs that are suggested at this site have been tested by experts.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Thank you for your suggestions. You also mentioned that software that is mentioned within this site has been tested by experts. Could you name some of that software as it pertains to computer maintenance such as a good uninstaller, stuff like that? Again, thanks for your explanation and suggestion(s).--Mark

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please read the how to guides and tutorials sub forum in the communitys forum.