Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I quit using Paypal altogether?

• Please log in to reply

johnsgirl

johnsgirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I read something while perusing the malware sections of this website and maybe reading up on "Right Media," that one spyware I can't seem to get rid of for more then 5 minutes, and ran across a post that said that Paypal was a problem when it comes to security.

I just want to double-check before I quit using Paypal as that has been a very convenient way to pay for items online. In fact I was thinking about switching to having NO bank card or credit card (because of identity theft, etc.) and just using Paypal online.

What is the best way to keep it simple when buying things online? Should I really just go back to snail mail and sending checks?

Thanks in advance for your help in this!

Michele

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Can you find the post that said Paypal was a problem? They have been a big phishing target for years, but as long as you don't click on links from emails pretending to be from Paypal, I think you should be safe. I did a quick Google search on Paypal and security, and I found one article from several years ago about a security exploit, and the rest of the articles were primarily about the steps Paypal continues to take to protect its customers from fraud. Paypay offers something called a Security Key, which generates a new security code every 30 seconds. You might want to consider that. To be honest, I don't like the idea of mailing checks - if someone steals the mail, they have access to your name, address, checking account number, etc.

johnsgirl

johnsgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your answer!

Sorry, it's too early in the morning for my memory to have kicked in. I may never remember where I read that about Paypal. I thought it was here but possibly I read it elsewhere this morning.

Cheers, Michele

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

checking acouunt number, etc.

...not to b e a thread jacker but....sari misspelled something!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
That's okay - I was just curious what may have been said. It's obviously in Paypal's best interest to constantly hone their security measures to protect us, since their primary purpose is to handle payments - I would say the lack of negative news about them proves they're doing their job successfully.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

checking acouunt number, etc.

...not to b e a thread jacker but....sari misspelled something!

Lies!

johnsgirl

johnsgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sari: Thanks again for your responses. I had always trusted Paypal and feel so much better feeling I can continue to trust them! :) :)

And you can misspell in my thread anytime. :)