Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen ! HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

gilybob

gilybob

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
computer not loading up at all.. pressed f8 and followed what it said on another topic on this forum and then went to the blue screen !! i got these stop codes

Stop : 0x000000ED (0x81240560,0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

this isnt good huh ??

i do not have the windows cd either and i cant even get in2 safe mode tried everything

any suggestions ???????

Advertisements

Rich In South Florida

Rich In South Florida

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know this sounds bad but first let me ask you a few questions. 1 have you changed anyhardware on your machine? 2. How old is this computer? 3.How old is this hard drive?

If you change certain hardware or have any hardware malfunctioning you will get this screen.

If you have a hard drive that is old and when I say old I mean like 3-5 years old as this may have malfunctioned which brought you to this screen.

Also certain viruses will do the same to you. I have seen virus on a machine so bad that it would work then all of a sudden stop working and get the blue screen.

If the hard drive is old you will most likely need to replace it.
If you have viruses you will need to remove them from your computer using a dos virus scanner or just reformat hard drive and reinstall windows. In which case you dont have the windows cd so this might be hard for you. There are other ways too ya know. Some computer companys like hp or compaq or gateway/dell have a second partition on the hard drive meant for restoring the operating system.If you have this you will be fine with no cd. But if you dont the only thing you can do is if you have the COA on the side of the computer.(Certificate Of Authenticity Which has the license number on it ) You can bring it into a repair shop and have them install windows for you. Or you can just purchase the reinstallation cd from ebay for your brand of computer then reinstall it yourself using your key code from your COA on your computer. This will probably be the cheapest way. As the recovery cds on ebay are relatively cheap.You can allways call the maker of the computer and buy one from them too.

I suggest if hard drive is old then you buy a new one pricewatch.com is usually the cheapest place to find them.Then get the recovery cd. Install new hard drive. (not as hard as you think) search google for hard drive installation then go from there with reinstalling windows with recovery cd.

Now I tell my customers it is a good Idea to back up their information using a hard drive image copy software like rdrive or norton ghost. (you can buy these on Cnet) What these do is when you have your computer loaded with new windows and all of your info like pics and so on you can use this software to make a cd image of your hard drive. Then if anything ever happens to your computer you can just pop the cd in that you made of your hard drive and have it all back in a matter of minutes versus having to reinstall windows and run windows update which can take hours. Now I hope this helps you out.

Edited by ScHwErV, 30 October 2008 - 10:09 AM.
Removed SPAMmy link that adds nothing to the post

gilybob

gilybob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thank you for quick reply .. im usually waiting a few days cos peeps r busy n e way ...
the computer is ancient old at least 4 yrs id say its a dell system type gx150 if that makes any sense..
well looks like the company will be buying another hard drive .. i dont think any one downloaded anything on it recently .. i did do a windows update which took forever !!
thanks for youre advice
Paul

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Does the error say "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"?