Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC does not turn on

• Please log in to reply

Fredypublic

Fredypublic

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi every one!

I'm trying to fix a Dell Dimension 4600C. This PC turns on whenever feels like it.
I unplug the power cord and the light on the mobo stays on for about 10 sec which makes me think the PSU might be bad, but I don't have a another one so I can't test it . I removed the battery and nothing. I removed all the devices (CDROM, HD, etc) leaving just the mobo connected and nothing. Like I said, sometimes works... sometimes it does not.

"I unplug the power cord and the light on the mobo stays on for about 10 sec". I know this is not normal..... :-(

Thank you for your help guys!

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

"I unplug the power cord and the light on the mobo stays on for about 10 sec". I know this is not normal..... :-(

Yes, that is normal, there is always a little bit of power left after you unplug it that needs to bleed off, then the light will go out.
When it doesn't start up what happens? Do any fans come on? Any lights? Does anything happen at all?

Fredypublic

Fredypublic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I plug the power cord, the processor fan spins for about 2 sec, the PSU does not even move, light on mobo goes on and that's it. by the way, there's not switch on the PSU, only at the front of the computer.
Yesterday, -after I posted this question- I unplugged everything in the PC, and bridged pin 13 and 14 of the 20 pins connector, firts time worked, but that was it, it never worked again until today early in the morning, once again only the first time worked.

Thank you for your time and help!

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Kindly post the complete specs of your rig. let see what we can do after you post it.

Thanks and God bless. :)

Fredypublic

Fredypublic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version:5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model:Dimension 4600C
System Type:X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2792 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A07, 5/17/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 171.31 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.03 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB

PSU: Dell Model HP-L161NF3P 160W

I hope this is useful.... let me know if you need more info....

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

and bridged pin 13 and 14 of the 20 pins connector

This leads me to believe the PSU. Pin 13 is com and 14 is PS/on.
The power supply should turn on every time.

Fredypublic

Fredypublic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In other words.... you're telling me that the PSU is the problem and should be replaced?