Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help spyware virus hijacked my computer

• Please log in to reply

lonmab

lonmab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently, I got a virus on my laptop (Windows XP Professional) that popups up a message box saying that "Your windows is corrupted with spyware virus." and lists a few ports that it says the spyware virus accesses my computer on (8083, and one other...). Also, it installed about 20 icons on my desktop as shortcuts to [bleep] sites, and gambling sites, etc. In the task tray, next to the clock, I have a small red circle, with a white X in the middle of it, that ocassionally pops up messages saying "Attention! Desctop and homepage are authorized! Desctop icons and homepage have passed windows authentication with the following description: [One-day promotional offer on the best goods for random user Use desctop icons to get the best deals on things you need!]

i read this post and it is the exact same thing that happened to me lastnight. i went to search a topic on google and my laptop went nuts. i read the solution that was given for this post but it was way over my head. i am a beginner to say the least at computers. this bug won't even let me get on the internet. i am posting this message from another PC. if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. thank you. i am running windows xp.

Edited by lonmab, 03 May 2005 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements